Tempeh

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by shroomgirl, Apr 13, 2001.

1. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Ok veggie guys, I have courted a farmer in Northern Mo for a year to get him into our market....he has organic sorguhm, honey and tempeh...one of the services we provide at the Clayton Farmer's Market is cooking samples for the farmers to hand out....any suggestions for tempeh...now we start May 12th so think summer....
    TIA

2. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Shroom,
    what stage of tempeh are they using?
    Koro,murni,semangit or busak?
    they all have very different textures Koro being the wettest and busak being the driest.
    so there application would vary depending on what stage of fermentation the soy is in.
    cc

3. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Well there's a question to ask when he calls, I personally have eaten tempeh acouple of times and it was not pleasureable...the texture got me...So which do you prefer and how do you fix it?

4. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Don't use the stuff.

I'm not a big fan of the flavor.
    soft resembles camenbert and the dry resembles stilton.

cc

5. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Crud!!! Well between flavor and texture I'm trying to figure out why so many vegetarians like it.

6. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Crud is right...I had the guts to try it only once...I thought maybe I got a bad batch, but I think it's supposed to taste bad.
    :eek:

Afra, tempeh is a cultured soybean cake.

7. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    LOL your going to love this, I called a good friend who is "veggiechef" pretty close to vegen anyway when I mentioned this farmer potentially bringing in tempeh he went nuts...Now he has an upscale restaurant that serves 500-1000 meals aday with a vegen entree or two. "I'll buy it, I'll even come down and stand at his booth adn hand out samples!!!!" He's says he steams it and dips it or fries in with alittle sauce and it crisps up when the sauce dissapates.
    ***In the taste of the beholder***

8. svadhisthana

svadhisthana

Even though this post is several months old I thought I'd bring it back to life. I use tempeh on occasion and have found that it CAN be gross if you don't prepare it properly. I steam it for a few minutes or simmer it in a broth or with a bouqet garni to lose the bitter/yucky flavor. Then procede with whatever method of cooking you want. Today I'm cooking it in a cast iron grill pan and topping it with brie and grilled granny smith apples.