Temp testing pork chops

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by recky, Feb 27, 2014.

1. recky

recky

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Currently I have pan-fried pork chops on the menu, about an inch thick, rind on. They're very popular, as I treat them differently to what your average home cook does, i.e. a bit like a beef steak. I attempt to cook them so they're still somewhat pink next to the bone, which keeps a thick chop like this incredibly juicy. I sear them on both sides with garlic and thyme and stick them in the oven for 8 minutes.

Problem is: I find the temp testing by finger a bit hit-and-miss, as chops simply don't feel like beef steaks. The outside tends to be a lot harder, and the individual muscle strands feel very different to the touch.

Any pointers from my fellow chefs on how to test more reliably?

Thanks very much,

Recky

2. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Pocket thermometer????

3. michaelga

michaelga

Exp:
    Retired Chef
  4. wlong

wlong

Exp:
    Other
    Thermapen  was the best investment I made for the kitchen.  Expensive yes, but fast readings, easy reading for meat or anything you need to check the temperature.

5. capecodchef

capecodchef

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Just picked up a Thermopen for only $74 during their open box sale. May still be available. Worth it, IMO, even if full price.

6. recky

recky

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    It might sound weird, but it's never occurred to me to use an instant-read thermometer on a slice of meat! A roast, yes. You live and learn... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Thanks!

7. michaelga

michaelga

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    pick it up with tongs and insert into the side towards the bone stop about 1/2" from the bone... this will be the 'least' cooked area.