Tell us why you don't use the Trading Post

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by nicko, Jan 20, 2012.

1. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    We would thought the trading post would be a great place for members to sell their old cookbooks (trade them), coffee makers, cooking equipment. But, we have had almost no action and we were wondering why you guys and gals don't use it? So feel free to post your honest assessment of the ChefTalk trading post.

TRADING POST

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I've got a small stack I've been meaning to post since before it was ever opened as a forum. Just haven't got around to it. I

3. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Currently not looking to buy or sell

4. chefbogan

chefbogan

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Just joined, I'll check it out

rmullins likes this.
  5. keekie

keekie

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I am a new member, and when I look at your home page, the location of the "Trading Post" is not easy to identify.  In fact...I still am not certain where to find it!  Why not have a green tab on the top with all the other main tabs identified as TRADING POST?

6. paul alfred

paul alfred

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I haven't made use of it because I do not have anything to sell, and at the moment I have nothing I need to purchase.  I do check in there now and then just to see what's going on, and would certainly use it in the future if I had something worth posting there.

7. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Didn't know one existed??? Where is it.

8. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    If there is a trading post, how would i know? 

I would love to be able to use one, but if it's not in europe, whatever i would buy, i would have to pay double its worth in import taxes. 

Better visibility is a good suggestion.  Make announcements "Chef talk wants to introduce you to "trading post" where you can buy and sell (or trade?) your kitchen equipment.  Guaranteed safe by Nicko" or something like that.  make a window appear every time you open it.  Make a "rating" thing where people who;ve used it rate it. 

9. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I live in the UK.  The cost of postage would be prohibitive!

Also, I like pristine cookery books (OK, I'm slightly OCD about tidiness and no marks on books) - and I like to buy new, shiny things...

10. patmak

patmak

Exp:
    Home Chef
    I give my used wares to my children, they certainly can't afford the top line stuff that I use, and they love it.  Its "gently used, but still in great shape, and as for cook books, I doubt that I will ever part with my collection.  My recipe binder will be the one thing that the family will fight over in the will, lol.

11. mimmogram

mimmogram

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I actually didn't know there was one!!

12. oregonyeti

oregonyeti

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I don't use it because my cooking equipment is minimal, and the cookbooks I have, I can't part with. One of my favorite cookbooks is "Flatbreads and Flavors", and I haven't even tried a quarter of the recipes in it so far. (I'm trying to remember who recommended that cookbook ...)  Also, if I'm going to buy cooking equipment, I'll usually buy it new. If there's someone who will sell me a very nicely seasoned cast iron fry pan, and has taken care of it and made great stuff with it, I doubt they'd want to sell it, but I will buy it! For me it's basically I don't spend a lot on equipment, being a non-pro.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  13. elainski

elainski

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    I'm a new member and was not aware of the trading post. How to I access?

14. colin

colin

Exp:
    At home cook
    I was unaware it existed, and I just now took a quick look at http://www.cheftalk.com  and couldn't find it there.  Granted, I'm an idiot.

FWIW what I've noticed in other settings is that low-volume trading sites languish.  Whatever their drawbacks, ebay and craigslist reach a lot of folks.  I don't know what the scene is for pro gear, though.

15. phaedrus

phaedrus

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    To be honest I'd never noticed it.  Since the forum change I've never really figured out how to find stuff anymore.

16. panns

panns

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I save every cookbook I've ever had!!! even if I don't use them!!

17. margcata

margcata Banned

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Firstly, I live in the Madrid Capital and thus, cooking equipment and electricity run machines and gadgets have a different electric system.

Secondly, on the topic of cookbooks, the ones I do possess in English shall be inherited by my 2 daughters, and the ones in Italian, French and German shall go to my younger daughter. The Portuguese ones and the Spanish ones shall be left to my gent.

If I am in the USA, it is for visiting dear friends, my Mom, my Brother and his wife and my nephews, one who now is living and working as a Chef in Tuscany and had finished his internship at a Ristorante and was offered a position this past summer.

When in the USA, I can only buy a few books ... if any, due to the baggage regulations.

Though I am flexible and of course, enjoy looking at books old and the latest in English and the Latin Root languages as well as German ... it keeps up the level when I travel.

Possibly, a good idea, would be to set up this section by Continents so that the members could possibly purchase however with the electric specifications of the EU or The USA  / Canada etcetra ...

Buying an Italian or French book from Madrid or Florence or Milan or Toulouse or Paris or Zürich, is alot different than buying one from Oregon for example.

Margcata.

18. jellly

jellly

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    OK, now I am curious and went looking to see what is available...but I still can't find it.

19. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    To find it, go to forum green tab at top of page; then ChefTalk.Com; then ChefTalk Trading Post

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  20. foodnfoto

foodnfoto

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    My hunch is that most folks who frequent this site quickly click on "new posts" as soon as they get here.

If there is no new activity at the Trading Post, it's unlikely we'd take the time to look for it. 

Also, the membership seems so spread out internationally, that there might be a disincentive to check it often.

FWIW-just my 2 cents.