teak cutting board?

Joined Jan 8, 2010
I have a lot of teak lying around.
Could I use some to make a cutting board?
Any special treatment required?

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Teak can be a beautiful wood. I’ve read criticism of teak as cutting board over the years. Some say it dulls knives quickly.

Joined Sep 21, 2010
I have an edge-grain teak board. I love it, and haven't noticed my knives getting particularly dull but ymmv. I've had this board for several years, I think it's by proteak. At the time, it was recommended by America's Test Kitchen:

IMG_4443.JPG

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Thanks!
I think I first need to find out if my teak really is teak as it is a local product (from Shesheke, Zambia) and the one link warns about Rhodesian teak

Joined Jan 8, 2010
OK, I got Rhodesian teak, which isn't teak at all.
It has a lot of the same properties though. One if the things I found is that it has a higher silica content than teak, so I suppose if teak blunts a knife quickly, Rhodesian teak will do so even faster!

Joined Sep 5, 2008
OK, I got Rhodesian teak, which isn't teak at all.
It has a lot of the same properties though. One if the things I found is that it has a higher silica content than teak, so I suppose if teak blunts a knife quickly, Rhodesian teak will do so even faster!
I suppose you can still use the wood to do a nice presentation platter for cheese or charcuterie boards, appetizers, things like that. I love wood boards.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Oh,
Absolutely
I got this wood as flooring, as furniture and as presentation.
I just love the look and feel of wood

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Teak can be a beautiful wood. I’ve read criticism of teak as cutting board over the years. Some say it dulls knives quickly.

Not as bad as bamboo, but the thing with a lot of these "tropical woods" is when you glue the boards up you have to wash each mating surface with alcohol to drive the oil away, or the glue joint may fail prematurely. I have teak veneer from 30+ yrs. ago and if you scrape with a razor it smells like it was cut yesterday. If you have it "lying around" why not give it a go? Where a good dust mask as it will irritated your lungs and cause some grief. Good luck!!

Joined Jan 8, 2010
I know the "lying around" sounds daft, but is really true :)
I had to relocate my lodge and we had Rhodesian teak floors everywhere.
My house now has them as well. I'll try make some pictures

Latest posts

Top Bottom