tattoos in the kitchen

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by godfather_chef, May 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. godfather_chef

godfather_chef

Exp:
    Line Cook
    my dad has been on my case ever since i got my first tattoo, he says that no one will want to hire me becasue of them. i currently have one on each upper arm, forearm, calf, and one on my back. so, my question is this; do tattoos have any way of lessening my chances of getting into better, nicer places?

2. crazytatt

crazytatt

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Not to my experience.

I wear my ink as a part of me. I'm fully sleved, and then some. When I have a suit on, no one is the wiser.

As mentioned in another thread, I have alot of ink. This is in no way "being a bad a**.", if the body is a temple, why not paint the walls? If you have a soild resume, and you CAN prove things w/ action...the proof is in the puddin'. Not to mention, modern spin offs from t.v. have de-sensitized the whole tatt stigmata. Let your actions be your guide, and truth be your shield.

3. aprilb

aprilb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    You know, the pre-sanitizing stigma that they have. Like a drunk sailor getting hep or dirty needles transmitting AIDS.

I've got tons of scars from ovens that have decided to 'tat' me. Your Tats are just scars that are in color and on purpose.

(I had a scar from an oven once that looked kind of like a rocket ship from The Illustrated Man, but it faded. :cry: )

I don't know what your dad wants you do do about it. I don't mean to usurp him, but the only option is to have them removed. Like Crazy Tat said, you cover them or not, and it's no problem.

The bottom line though is that they don't drive or determine your skill, you do. It would be totally different if you were a female bikini model or something. I can't figure out what the difference is between tats and dying your hair or wearing makeup, except that your tats don't fall off into the food...:lol:

Just have fun with what you love to do.

April

4. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    The chef at an American Place has tatoos (John Griffin), Sous-chef at Atlas has them promently up and down his arms (Bob has worked at Inn at Little Washington as well as top restaurants).....each is a powerhouse in their own right and both restaurants are in the top 10 in STL. It doesn't get more conservative than the mid-west.

5. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Unless you're in an open kitchen in a 5 star place, I wouldn't worry too much. As you already know, kitchens don't hire on the basis of your looks! You're father is probably like many in that he may just not want to see his son all tattooed up and that's his way of saying "don't do it". I have my colors as well, but I still would rather my son not get colored.
    So don't worry and show your father this thread.

6. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  7. crazytatt

crazytatt

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hells Kitchen winner...When the first episode aired, I told my girl "He's gonna win", didn't watch again until the final episode....yep, called it.:D

8. mikeb

mikeb

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    In my experience it doesn't affect your chances of being hired at all. If you're worried then wear a long sleeve shirt to your interview to cover them. Just make sure to look as professional as possible (this goes for everyone tats or not) and you'll have no problems. The place I've been at (multiple award winning restaurant, including several for best restaurant in the city) has had 2 sous-chefs who were covered in tats.

9. diane

diane

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    The only one you could possibly see would be the one on your forearm, and goodness knows, they are as common as day.

10. thebiggerbopper

thebiggerbopper

Exp:
    At home cook
    I've seen a lot of street corner hot dog venders with tattoos all over them, didn't seem to hurt them any. :lol: :lol:

11. rivitman

rivitman

Exp:
    Former Chef
    If you have visible tats and piercings, I can't use you out front at all, which makes you less valuable to me. A couple of tats is never usually a problem, but most I have worked with with extensive body art are seldom good soldiers in white jackets, which is what I need.

And I know this is going to sound radical, but if you have a tongue stud, pierced eybrows, nose etc, you have issues and are going to eventually be a problem to me. Every female with extensive tattooing Iv'e run into has issues, and the lower back tattoo is definatly a sign of future trouble.

12. blade55440

blade55440

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Tattoos don't matter if you're in the kitchen. Most folks wear their chef coats to about mid forearm I've noticed ( I'm a freshly graduated culinary student).

As for front of the house, if it's covered up by your regular work clothes, then you're in the clear man.

At least that's how I see it.

13. blondechef

blondechef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I am so torn with adding my food tattoo... what defines me as a chef? what ingredient can i NOT live without? the chefs who have inspired me... so many choices

14. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    If I have a closed back of the house kitchen, it wouldn't bother me. If I had that person Carving on a front line buffet, or omelette station I would not hire that person. I want that person there to show case my food not his/her Art work. I tell all the girls that work for us, you can have as many Bellybutton rings as you want, but anything that shows, Goes................................Bill

15. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Meh, call me a crusty old conservative fart, tattoos make me hurl, body graffiti as far as I'm concerned.

When you come into a interview and I see tats, I don't hire. Period. You can be smart and wear long sleeved shirts and if I don't see tats, that's fine.

If you want to wear short sleeved shirts to show off ink, or the metal bits, bobs, or schrapnel in your face, I'll tell you that you don't met my requirements. If you wish, you can scream human rights and unfair hiring practises, and I'll just laugh. True, it is unfair not to hire someone based on race, religion, birth defects, etc, but a tat was done intentionally. And that is the problem.

16. greyeaglem

greyeaglem

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I'm not fond of tattoos on No matter what, they look dirty. It's my opinion that the more you have the more attention you want and I don't need needy people in my kitchen. I also have the perception that this is a person who wants to show off their individuality- the last thing I need. That doesn't mean I wouldn't hire you. I would take other qualities into consideration. Never get a tattoo in a place you can't cover up. What I really hate are lip rings. They scream dirty/ germy. If you show up to an interview wearing a lip ring, you are done. I won't even interview you as I figure if you haven't got more sense than to wear a lip ring to an interview, you won't have enough brains to wash your hands without me telling you and I'm not your baby sitter. Sounds harsh, but you asked. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.

17. chefdrizzle

chefdrizzle

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    tattoo's are becoming more and more acceptable with the up and coming generations... its an art that has been around forever basically and people are always popping up with crazy new styles of tattoos... not to mention the unique techniques that individual artists have...

in my opinion, it goes deeper than just 'a guy with tattoo's'... who is the person who did the artwork? was it some back alley fool with no regard for the people who hes tattooing or the art of itself... or was it done by someone with talent, is licensed and loves what he/she does?

i really hate the people who say they are tattoo artists and everyone and their friend says
    "this guy is great because he will do any tat for 50 bucks!! omg his work is awesome too!!"
    and i ask
    "oh really now? who is he and where is his shop?"
    answered with a reply like
    "his names Spike and he does it out of his house off of Crap St. Downtown"

i like people with tats, but i do not like certain choices made by people to get cheap tats that look half arsed, with no idea if tools are sterile from someone who will just put ink on anything that moves...

so back on topic... if you come to work for me and you have tattoos, it wont effect me hiring you... if your tattoos were made from poor choices and put on by the wrong people, it will effect my brain to think your dumb.

18. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Although I dislike most tatoos, I really admire the stuff done by/for the Japanese Yakuza. They're utterly beautiful, real works of art of which I see very little here in the U.S..

19. harvest

harvest

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I just have to say that Tats are not a problem to me, wearing the pants down around the hips with parts showing I don't want to see is a problem. I have had to ask or insist a few young fellows that they pull the pants up!

20. chefhow

chefhow

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    When I owned my restaurant it had an open kitchen and a food bar for guests to sit and eat at. No visible tats, peircings (other than ears), low hanging pants(black or checks only), they had to be pulled up and fit you. If you want to be sleeved or have ink that was below the upper arm or on the neck that was fine but you wore a long sleeved white tshirt under your coat and left the sleeves down all shift, if they came up you went home. I wanted a clean, uniform kitchen, my place my rules.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.