Chef Forum banner
41 - 60 of 94 Posts
sometimes you just have to do what you have to do. never liked pearl diving either, but if i needed plates or pans or whatever i would always jump in to help out. bottom line was getting the food out in a timely manner.:smiles:
kathee

I was a donut fryer long enough that cleaning fryers doesn't bug me one bit.

What really just kinda gets to me is getting a container from the dish pit and having to peel old labels/day-dots off of it. Just one of those pet peeves I guess....

Reading this thread there seems to be a large number of you who listed peeling shrimp. I'm curious as to why that's troublesome for so many of you.

When it comes to prepping seafood, I would list oysters far above shrimp, and skid at the very top of the hate-to-clean list.

Peeling & deveining shrimp gets repititive, dangerous (watch those tails), and nasty (ever silently screech to yourself when you discover a shrimp with a densely packed tube) all too fast.

For our restaurant, we only serve oysters on special occasions (New Years, etc.), so I can take 3-4x a year, while shrimp is a year-long deal.

Ditto on that! ;)

Answering the phone! On Saturday's 4 hours of my morningjust to do this because the FOH mgr didn't schedule a host/hostess to take reso's and about 10 minutes after arriving at the property in the morning the phone rings and it's either a vendor saying he was out of whatever I special ordered for that days party 3 weeks before or one of any number of folks that couldn't remember to get out of bed to come to work.:lol:

The ONLY task I truly hate is, chasing money.
Whether it be chasing customers/contracts that owe monies.
Younger years, chasing some overtime, back pay, etc.. Actually, having to ask for something that is blatently owed to me or my business.

Pearl onions are the easiest. You're just not doing them right.

Here's one you may or may not like. Doing the whole catering tasting and presentation menu once a month for people who have booked functions. One presentation plate, one buffet style.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.