Tart question

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by kokopuffs, Jul 11, 2012.

1. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
  2. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    The crust is usually "blind baked " when a pre-made filling is to be poured into it.

When placing the crust in raw, usually it's with a filling that needs to bake, like.....pecan pie, or a custard pie.

In your case, since the filling is already made, you might pre-bake your crust part way, then add your apple pie filing and continue to bake until browned and bubbly.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  3. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    That's the best reply yet.  Pre-made filling is usually a fruit filling, am I correct?

Why not partially blind bake a crust for quiche or other custard dishes and pecan pie?   Once fully baked with the filling, wiIl the crust be over-baked?

4. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I personally do blind bake my quiche crusts by the way.

The idea is to get the crust started and set so it doesn't get soggy from the filling and not get done.

I suppose the same could be done with custards and pecan pie.

5. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    It's been three decades since I last bake a tart and now with all of the information that's available online, this and all of the other information is OUTRAGEOUS. Best.

-T

6. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    With the tart that I baked yesterday I chilled it.  Ohhhh man, what a treat.  Refridgeration is quite a treate.