Tarragon substitute?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by chefdeej204, Nov 29, 2016.

1. chefdeej204

chefdeej204

Exp:
    At home cook
    Help  LOL  I need 2 sprigs of Tarragon for a stew--- does anyone think star anise (just one)

be ok to sub?  licorice-y flavor- both!

Thanks in Advance--- 

I just joined today!

2. ljokjel

ljokjel

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Hi and welcome. I guess you didnt see what was written on top of this segment of the forum.

"This forum is reserved for current and past professional chefs only. Only professionals in the food industry may post here though all are free to read.

Please try to make your threads relevant to professional cooking.  For example, "holding oysters for dinner service" belongs in the pro forum whereas "serving oysters for eight" belongs in /www.cheftalk.com/f/17/food-cooking-questions-and-discussion  (unless of course you want to restrict the replies to just professionals)."

Your post will probably be moved to a different part of the forum.

To answer you question, I would say maybe. Its not the same, and no I wouldnt substitute tarragon with anise and expect the same result. It might still be good tho. Depends on your stew. Good luck sorting this out.

kuan likes this.
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

if you have the time to ask in a forum and wait for a reply you have the time to run to the store and grab what you need

that said 

fennel tops is what i would choose if i had no other option 

but if the herb selection is so important to the recipe then you should go get it, if its not important to the end result then just use whatever and see what happens