tapas ideas

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by blondeenee, Nov 2, 2011.

1. blondeenee

blondeenee

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    hey im a first year apprentice and my head chef has asked me to come up with four tapa ideas for new  menu he wants them to be using seasonal produce, vegetarian,not overly expensive to make, im stuck for ideas

2. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Do I smell homework cooking?

3. highlander01

highlander01

Exp:
    Other
    That sounds like my kind of homework ... on the other hand you should check out some books on tapas or do some checking on line to get the creative juices flowing as it were.

Papas Bravas is a popular tapas bar item in Spain

4. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Which season?  Winter? 

Seasonal and local?  Or seasonal and local to Spain?  Winter tapas tend not to be terribly produce intensive except for things like olives, potatoes and mushrooms.

Hard to come up with "new" ideas without knowing your current menu.  For all I know "tortilla espanola" could be a frikkin' revolution at your place.

Is your chef open to using "preservas?"

BDL

5. highlander01

highlander01

Exp:
    Other

ROFLMAO man am I glad I had already put my soda down when I read that!!!

6. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    For all I know "tortilla espanola" could be a frikkin' revolution at your place.

Cripes, BDL. Ain't you satisfied with all your previous job experiences? Now you're bucking for stand-up comic? /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

Who's gonna clean the coffee off my screen!

Blondeenee: I can't imagine being stuck for creative ideas for tapas. At base, any small-plate dish qualifies. If nothing else, try taking one of your favorite dishes and modifying it to a tapas format. For instance, fitting into your requirements, this time of year we really love roasted root vegetables with a guava glaze. No reason that can't be served as a tapa.

If your boss is looking for something Spanishy, though, coming up with something new will be more difficult; there isn't much that hasn't been served that way. Simone & Ines Ortega's The Book of Tapas, for instance, has recipes for more than 250 of them alone. You might look at that book for inspiration, especially the "Guest Chefs" section at the back.

Gerald Hirigoyen's Pintxos is another book that's sure to get the creative juices flowing. Hirigoyen's orientation is Basque, and many of his recipes are different than anything found elsewhere.

Adding to BDL's thoughts, not only do we not know what "new" means to your menu, we don't know what vegetarian means. Pure vegetarian (i.e., vegan)? Ovo-lacto? Piscatorian?

More specifics are definately in order.