Tansy

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by hexnymph, Aug 22, 2003.

1. hexnymph

hexnymph

Does anyone use Tansy in their cooking or any other experience with the stuff?

It seems to me I have an endless supply of the stuff growing around here. I've gotten mixed reviews from my ID books, some say tea, others say sage substitute, and still others say toxic.

Hex

2. foodnfoto

foodnfoto

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Tansy is a beautiful and fragrant herb that can add a lot of flavor to cooked meats, salads and teas.
    It's also a popular food found in all wild foods information.
    The problem is that it contains chemicals that are ammenoregic (I'm not sure of the proper spelling). Anyway, that means that ingestion of even small amounts can cause women to miscarry a fetus. Actually, Native American women used this plant as a kind of birth control.
    Interesting, but really not worth messing around with. Save the tansy (flowers and leaves) for your centerpiece and keep it from the center of the plate.

3. miahoyhoy

miahoyhoy

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I knew a girl named Tansey. Lovely!
    That's all I have to say about that...:p

4. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I have never heard of Tansy. It's not in my Larousse! :) I'd be interested to learn more though.

Kuan

5. hexnymph

hexnymph

It's a wildflower that is common on roadsides and yards.

It's everywhere here in the U.P. I would be willing to bet that it's common in northern Minnesota. I was at my brothers near Anoka this past weekend and didn't notice any there but it was definitly on the roadside on the trip down.

this is a fairly informative website
    http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/t/tansy-05.html

Hex

P.S. I think I'm gonna hold of on my experimentation.

6. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Kuan,

Tansy is in the Compositae family. Species is Tanacetum vulgare and it's local name if Golden Buttons because of it's little yellow flower.

It's very invasive,has rosemary undertones.The leaves are used very sparingly in "Tansy"(a custard)before refridgeration tansy would be wrapped around meats to flavor them and repell insects.

Some people use the leaves in pets beds to ward of fleas and grow it near entry ways of there homes to repell mice and ants.
    it's also used in homeopathy.

Theres also a Tansy Phacella that is used in between crop rows to attract pollinating bees and this one produces an excellent honey.

But I would stay away from cooking with it.