Chef Forum banner

Tangerine Tofu with Star Anise

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  morning glory 
#1 · (Edited)
Marinating tofu for a long time pays off here - the orange and anise flavours really shine through. You could substitute another green vegetable instead of the sugar snap peas. Asparagus or green beans would work. Serve over noodles or rice for a light lunch.

Food Tableware Ingredient Recipe Leaf vegetable

Ingredients (serves 2)
  • 250g firm tofu (I use Tofoo)
  • A large handful of sugar snap peas
  • Chopped red chillies, to taste
For the marinade:
  • Juice of one tangerine
  • Peel of the tangerine
  • 5 or 6 star anise
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 100ml white wine vinegar
For the sauce:
  • 1 tbsp light soy sauce
  • 1 tsp sesame oil
  • Oil for frying
  • 2 fat cloves of garlic cut in slivers
  • A small thumb of ginger cut into julienne strips
  • A few strips of tangerine peel cut into julienne strips
  • A large handful of sugar snap peas or other green vegetable of your choice.
  • 2 heaped tsp cornflour (cornstarch) dissolved in a little cold water
Method
  1. Place the marinade ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Add the tofu, cut into cubes and mix well. Leave to marinate for several hours or over night. Turn the tofu in the marinade once or twice during this time.
  2. Drain the tofu but reserve the marinade.
  3. Pat the tofu dry with a kitchen towel. Add both the the oils to a non-stick pan and fry the tofu, turning until golden. This will take approx. 5 mins.
  4. Mix 6 tbsp of the marinade (strained to remove particles) with 2 tsp cornflour and 1 tbsp light soy sauce. Add it to the pan with the sugar snap peas (you can add them whole - I cut them in pieces), the garlic, ginger and julienned tangerine peel.
  5. Stir to thicken the sauce then gradually add the rest of the strained marinade until the sauce reaches your desired consistency.
  6. Cook gently until the sugar snap peas are heated through. Add the chopped red chillies.
  7. Serve with noodles or rice.
Food Tableware Recipe Ingredient Salad

See less See more
#2 ·
I need to get over my adverse reaction when people use 'marinade' as a verb instead of 'marinate'. But that looks good! One place I wish I could frequent more has a deep fried tofu in black bean sauce that is REALLY good. Maybe I'll try to make a version of it for the challenge.

mjb.

#3 ·
Marinating tofu for a long time pays off here - the orange and anise flavours really shine through. You could substitute another green vegetable instead of the sugar snap peas. Asparagus or green beans would work. Serve over noodles or rice for a light lunch.

While I'm not a huge tofu fan, it does look quite good. Will pass along to my sister in law who's Vegan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.