Takoyaki fillings - ideas

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by NotDelia, Jan 12, 2019 at 9:36 AM.

1. NotDelia

NotDelia

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Having discovered these Japanese octopus balls in a British fast-food chain, I decided to have a go at making them myself at home. It was surprisingly easy. However, I didn't happen to have an octopus in the fridge or freezer. TBH, it was the balls I particularly liked rather than the octopus anyway.

So, what else could I use as a filling? I searched the internet and found various suggestions - sweet and savoury - but the one I liked best was kimchi, so that's what I used instead of octopus.

Have you had a go at making takoyaki and if so what fillings have you tried?

PS: I realise that 'tako' is Japanese for 'octopus' so if you're not using octopus then they're not really takoyaki but what the heck.

2. aidlien

aidlien

Exp:
    Traveling the world via my kitchen.
    Any flaky white fish will do, but I've happily used imitation crab and tinned tuna. But I've always thought of them as fish balls... and I love your idea of using kimchi! Now I think I'll start using what I would normally put in a Korean-style veggie pancake. This has really got my wheels turning. I wonder what a spoonful of curry and some minced chicken would do...

3. NotDelia

NotDelia

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I used nam pla (Thai fish sauce) to season the batter instead of salt. As a sucker for gadgets and equipment, I bought a takoyaki pan, but can now see endless possibilities for it. Mini toad-in-the-hole (British weirdo thing with a sausage in a Yorkie pudding). How about a sweet one with a raspberry inside and top it with cream?

It looks difficult - making a perfect sphere by poking batter about with a chopstick but it's easy and it looks great. I'm in lurve!