Taking care of my knives

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by koukouvagia, Mar 2, 2014.

1. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I just bought these knives, henckels steak knives.  http://www.casa.com/p/j-a-henckels-...m=cpc_C&utm_content=pla&utm_campaign=GoogleAW

I was looking at how to care for them and it says:
    Now I'm tempted to put them in the dishwasher.  Really, what kind of warning is this?  It's like putting a label on a box of cookies that says "Eat as many as you like, but tomorrow you'll be fat." 

Head scratching.

2. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Dishwashers and knives don't mix IMO.  Nothing good ever comes of it.

3. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Don't be tempted.  Read between the lines (which really isn't between the lines, but at the end of their statement)... bla bla bla but wash them by hand.  It really is a silly warning!

4. galley swiller

galley swiller

Exp:
    At home cook
    Mike9 and BrianShaw are both right. Those particular knives should never go into a dishwasher - hand wash only.

The tip-off are the rivets in the handle - strongly suggesting the handle scales are either wood or some wood composite.  Put ANYTHING made of wood or wood byproducts in a dishwasher and the wood will suffer - think "bleached out", big time.

The only saving grace to putting those knives in a dishwasher I might see would be if you actually wanted a good set of steak knives.  Then you could just claim, "Whoops!"  and buy something quality made, such as Victorinox Rosewood   /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Galley Swiller

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  5. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Thanks for the advice. I will wash by hand.