Take Out Trepidation...Help!

Joined Jan 26, 2021
Hey guys, wondering if any of you have wisdom to impart regarding a move to offering take out. I would really appreciate any help I can get!
In ordinary times we are an event venue that hosts/caters events like award ceremonies or weddings and we are also a dinner theatre offering an elegant 3 course meal (3 choices for each course) prior to a show. In current times, due to restrictions in our province, we are shut...and have been for almost a year.

We didn't move to take out at the start of the pandemic because we're not a restaurant. We are 15 minutes drive from the nearest small village and our focus became saving the theatre company and moving to digital content.

But, we've navigated that and now I would like to offer up some take out options to go with our online shows! People say they miss our food and I know they would like to support us...but how to go about that and actually make money is currently a tad unclear.

What are the best take out containers to use? Do you assume people will re-plate the food having warmed it up in the oven? Or the microwave?

It is definitely a drive to get out to us - should we offer an in town pick up point? Maybe the food should not even attempt to be warm...just 'ready to heat and serve' or assemble!!?

My first attempt is going to be for Valentines Day so a 'fancier' option than your everyday meal. If it was in-person dining my menu would be something like;

Mushroom Soup (with a splash of Sherry)
Caesar Salad (with a Pancetta Crisp)
Smoked Trout Pate (Served with a slice of Toasted Baguette)
----------------------------
Red Wine Braised Lamb Shank (mashed potato, jus, green beans, mint sauce)
Rigatoni Bolognese (With chorizo and grated parmesan)
Roasted Squash & Brie Risotto
--------------------------------------------------------------
Sticky Toffee Pudding (with ice cream! that's not going to work lol)
Amaretto Creme Caramel
Cheese Board

I have zero containers in which to serve anything and the amount of different ones I would need for that gives me palpitations...do I just give up!?

What are some things that work really well for take out? What are some of the pitfalls you have come across?

I guess one thing we have going for us is that they would all be pre-orders so no surprises (ha!)

THANK YOU in advance for any advice you can give me :)

Joined Oct 31, 2012
Contact your paper supply provider to see what containers they offer and what the prices are. If you can compare prices with another supplier, even better. There are many kinds of take out containers so choosing one will require some thought. Clamshells are a popular choice for take out but they aren't the only one
I like the idea of a closer pick up point for the food but that would mean selling it cold unless you have an empty restaurant available.
Otherwise you will have to work out the details as you go and learn what is needed to make it work. There is no getting around the fact that you will make some mistakes but that's okay.
If you have. a social media presence, you might try asking your public what they prefer.

Joined Jan 26, 2021
Contact your paper supply provider to see what containers they offer and what the prices are. If you can compare prices with another supplier, even better. There are many kinds of take out containers so choosing one will require some thought. Clamshells are a popular choice for take out but they aren't the only one
I like the idea of a closer pick up point for the food but that would mean selling it cold unless you have an empty restaurant available.
Otherwise you will have to work out the details as you go and learn what is needed to make it work. There is no getting around the fact that you will make some mistakes but that's okay.
If you have. a social media presence, you might try asking your public what they prefer.
That's a great idea about asking people what they want - we do this all the time with the theatre shows - beats trying to guess!
Thank you

Top Bottom