Take a risk or play it safe?

Joined Jan 31, 2016
Hey guys, I am in a little bit of a delima. I am currently in community college and are trying to obtain some credits to transfer to a bigger university to major in sales or marketing. However, I have always wanted to learn how to cook. So my question is, do I take a gamble and transfer to a cooking school and hope I succeed, or take the safe route and go to business school? Thanks a lot guys. Feedback and criticism is much appreciated!

Joined May 5, 2010
Stay in business school and get a job in a restaurant.

You'll learn just how much you love to cook or you'll learn just how much of a mistake you could have made.

Cooking for friends and family is not the same as cooking on a line night after night.

Joined Sep 8, 2015
Will you likely find a marketing degree invaluable if you do get into the restaurant industry.

Joined Jun 23, 2015
Hey guys, I am in a little bit of a delima. I am currently in community college and are trying to obtain some credits to transfer to a bigger university to major in sales or marketing. However, I have always wanted to learn how to cook. So my question is, do I take a gamble and transfer to a cooking school and hope I succeed, or take the safe route and go to business school? Thanks a lot guys. Feedback and criticism is much appreciated!
You may want to consider going to a university that offers a four year degree in culinary arts.  There are some universities that offer a program for a BS in culinary arts and a minor in sales or marketing.  A "cooking school" teaches you the basics so you can learn to cook on the job.  A culinary program at a university is the same.  In the corporate world a BS can open many doors.  You also learn other skills that are very useful in the kitchen and working with others.  Good luck whatever you decide.   

Joined Feb 8, 2009
I think the path of least resistance to your first million would be having a Business degree. Although I think there are many a business degrees working the produce section in Walmart. In todays world you need a Masters degree to real money and a successful career. In a few years a Collage degree will be as mandatory as a high school diploma is today. In order to succeed in a Culinary school you need a lot of passion. Only Passion for your trade will get you through the hard times. 

Top Bottom