1 Medium Onion Chopped

1 Packet Ranch Seasoning

1 Packet Taco Seasoning

1 Can Black Beans

1 Can Great Northern Beans

1 Can Vegetarian Baked Beans

1 Can Rotel

1 Can Corn

Add ingredients to Crock Pot in order listed and let stand, do not stir. Add all juices from cans. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Chicken should be floating at top of Crock Pot. Remove chicken and shred with 2 forks. Stir into Crock Pot and serve.

Optional serve with sour cream, shredded cheese, and crackers.

See less See more
#2 ·
Not to rain on your parade but I don't see this as a soup, looks like chicken chili. Where's the broth?

If you are a culinary student, You should be making soup from scratch so that you can learn not opening cans and packets.

Basic soups are very easy to make, and once you master basic soups, sauces will come easier.

This recipe looks like something from my mom's church group casserole cookbook that a bunch of 80 yr old's put together.

Don't use packets of seasonings. Buy individual spices and herbs. Canned beans need to be rinsed before you use them.\

Good luck in your culinary education.

#4 ·
That raises an interesting question, what fresh spices would I need to make Ranch and Taco seasonings from scratch? I guess rinsing the beans is an option, but it isn't on the top of my priority list...dry beans might be a better option, but how long would they take in a slow cooker?

I would like to hear a detailed recipe for chicken stock that I can add to my repertoire...

#5 ·
Time to come clean. Are you really a culinary student paying for school or are you someone who want's to learn about cooking, there is a difference. If you are paying for schooling you need to quit right now and get your money back. You should have learned how to make or at least been reading about how to make stock in your first weeks.

#6 ·
Ranch dressing mix is salt, pepper, dill weed, onion powder, garlic powder, chives, parsley and buttermilk powder. I would sautee fresh chopped onion and garlic rather than use the powders. I wouldn't put buttermilk powder in a taco soup though and certainly not dill. But if you like it, go ahead of course.

Taco seasoning is generally a combination of salt, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, ground cumin and ground coriander. (Some brands of chili powder already have the spices added.) Assuming you've already salted it and used onion and garlic, just add ground chili, cumin and coriander.

Here's a thread that discusses stock making methods. Follow the link posted by Nicko, for a detailed step by step with pictures.

http://www.cheftalk.com/t/77935/chicken-stock

Hard to say how long dried beans would take. Depends on the beans, whether they are pre-soaked and the cooker. I see people reporting ranges anywhere between 3 and 6 hours. I would do it while you're home to keep an eye on it.

I think frozen corn is better than canned. Fresh even better of course. And I don't understand people who insist on cooking it forever. I like it just heated through.

#9 · (Edited)
The baked beans are really the only thing sweet in this recipe, it's a nice touch.

And no, I'm not an official culinary student, just Joe Hack making good food :)
Then you should change your ID to home cook.

The students catch a lot of flak at times for asking questions about things they should already know.

There is no shame in being a "home cook"!

mimi

I am from Texas and baked beans are never ever served with tacos.

Never ever.

Sometimes with breakfast (Texan /Asians) and frequently with barbeque (when no one wants to babysit a pot of pintos).

m.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.