table top fryers

Discussion in 'Cooking Equipment Reviews' started by swedzfish2, Jul 22, 2010.

1. swedzfish2

swedzfish2

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Are they any good? I was thinking of getting a 10 lb capacity one.

2. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Apparently they vary greatly in quality and usefullness, so you have to check the brands and models carefully.

I have a double-basket one that I use often, and have, overall, been happy with it. 

3. titomike

titomike

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    For smaller operations they're cheap, mobile and can handle a heavy workload though not as quickly as larger gas-fired models.

We also use the double....one for fries & the other for coated products etc. Filter daily & rotate across....and then a single we can pull out for b/u. Price was our motivating factor as we needed one in a hurry and it hasn't let us down yet.

If possible its best to recess them down below normally bench height for safer operation, an issue for not so tall staff.

Whoops!....are we talking at home?

4. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    10# would be HUGE for a home kitchen.  A 10# electric could probably handle what?  About 4# of food or so?

Vollrath has a ten pound, two-basket, electric fryer at a very reasonable price... less than $400.  It's meant for catering, which I interpret to mean a not very demanding duty cycle.  No personal experience with it, though.

It would be very cool to have a home fryer that would actually let you do fish and chips for a group.  On the other hand, it's subtle perfume would linger for days.  Weeks, even.

Yumm-O!

BDL

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010