szechuan peppercorns

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by chefbk, Aug 25, 2002.

1. chefbk

chefbk

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    :chef:

Hey all you professional chefs out there!! I recently ordered szechuan peppercorns from a local spice shop at the farmer's market, I was told that they are no longer available and they are no longer approved by the FDA!!!!!!!!
    What gives? What is going on with these peppercorns? Anyone know the answer or have read something about this? I would greatly appreciate any help!! Thanks.
    Chef BK

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Spices etc still has them in their web catalog. Can't find them in the Penzeys catalog on-line.

Interesting.

Phil

3. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Check this previous thread.

According to World Merchants:

"This product is currently under an import ban in the whole, unroasted form because of the citrus canker that infected the crop in Southeast Asia. We will not sell it whole as it must be ground and roasted at it's origin to satisfy US import regulations."

I get mine from Asian Groceries. If you can't, there are several online sources:

Web Spice

Let's Spice it Up

Kitchen Market

Soho Spices

:)

4. spikezoe

spikezoe

Well, that solves another food mystery. I've been casually trying to find these little buggers in all the usual places for the last year or so, but to no avail. Barbara Tropp has a good method of making a roasted szechuan peppercorn salt that somehow transforms the stuff into a pharmaceutical grade of crack. Great on popcorn.

5. isa

isa

6. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    I think they're still out there if you look hard enough. Keep trying Asian Groceries, I know I can find them... just bought some recently....

;)