Swordfish

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by nathan kreider, Jan 27, 2013.

1. nathan kreider

nathan kreider

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hey guys, My old work had a Swordfish special, and I loved the meat, but I don't know what to garnish it with.

What do you guys eat it with?

2. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I like it in a taco with a spicy pico de gallo and guac.  I also like it on a sea weed salad with some toasted sesame seeds on top.

3. ibeacco

ibeacco

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I have the sword in my menu grilled over a shredded

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

4. ibeacco

ibeacco

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Fennel salad with radish and arugula. I top it with an artichoke pesto with capers and anchovies and sometimes finish it with some micro greens (the micro makes everything "stand") drizzles of balsamic and EVOO fill up the empty space in the plate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

5. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Rendang Swordfish, while being grilled, a swordfish filet is topped with a dollop of red rendang, a spicy paste of chiles, lemongrass, cilantro, lime, coriander, and cumin; served with a spicy mint sauce and fresh pineapple

Pan American Swordfish, brushed with anticuchos marinade, a wet rub of ancho chiles, garlic, cumin, coriander, thyme, and beer; then grilled, served on a pool of mole verde and topped with a relish of tomato, capers, toasted pepitas, and golden raisins

Togarishi Swordfish, sprinkled with togarishi, a Japanese condiment of chiles, seaweed, sesame, and orange zest, then grilled and served on a bed of pan seared bok choy and topped with a wasabi black pepper dashi butter sauce

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  6. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Layne,

Your presentations sound good, but I've got a question about something you wrote: 
    I don't want to seem picky but are you sure you meant anticuchos?  I've never seen the word used to describe a seasoning paste or anything similar. 

BDL

7. chesco

chesco

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Traditional Italian is olive oil, lemon, oregano, s&p. Salmoriglio. Sicilians use pine nuts & raisins.

8. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I could go for this right now.

9. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    In my haste, I left out a word...marinade.

"brushed with anticuchos marinade, a wet rub of ancho chiles, garlic, cumin, coriander, thyme, and beer"

10. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    cheflayne, all three suggestions sound tastebuds-tantalizing. Thanks for sharing them!!!

11. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    for me...a few of my most favorites are swordfish picatta with not only capers in the sauce but also fried and scattered on top...also rubbed with evoo,sprinkle of s&p, grilled and topped with a tapenade of wonderful summer beefstake tomatoes, capers, fresh basil and kalamatas....healthy squeeze of lemon

love to eat it with creamy polenta or a risotto, or blended grains

joey

12. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Posted by durangojo  
    You remind me that Elizabeth David compared swordfish to veal in one of her books on Med cooking.  A lot of sauces you'd think of as very good for veal are also good for swordfish. 

I've got a lot of favorites, but I think my favorite is grilling over a live wood fire, and dressing either with a caper-lemon beurre blanc just as you described, or a pizzaiola similar to your tapenade in a lot of ways.  Smoked swordfish is a very good thing, but you either want to brine it first, smoke it hot, or preferably both to keep it moist.

BDL

13. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Worth not only saying, but saying in its own post:  

Swordfish is a top predator and contains a lot of methyl mercury.  Even though it's supposedly tested, testing can be irregular and spotty -- especially in the USA.  Anyone who enjoys swordfish should not eat it very often. 

BDL