Switching from AP to Bread Flour

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by kokopuffs, Nov 20, 2009.

1. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    For the past two years of breadmaking I've used, for my 6 cup recipe, KA AP flour with 2 C water, plus salt and yeast.

Today I've begun making my std 6 C loaf using KA Unbleached Bread Flour; therefore I've gone from using a flour at 11.7% protein to 12.7%. There water volume has increased from 2 C to 2 1/4 C. Although the dough feels a bit more hydrated, I'm wondering about the rise, crumb's texture and flavor.

Any comments appreciated. BTW the loaf goes into the oven in about 90 minutes! :peace:

2. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Assuming the gluten is properly developed, a bit more work with a higher protein flour, if the doulg is more hydrated I would anticipate a more open crumb.

3. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Too many variables, not enough information for me to hazard a guess.

Awaiting with bated breath,
    BDL

4. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Chicken! :)

5. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Crumb at this point is just as open as my loaves made with AP or 5 C AP + 1 C Rye or whole wheat flour. Flavor is good and seems a bit stronger. Crumb structure seems a bit stronger, too.

Next time I plan to reduce hydration a bit in order to firm up the loaf and give it a taller rise and slightly drier skin. Otherwise I'm completely satisfied with the percentage increase and flavor.

As always, onward and upward.