Swiss Chard - Any Recipes?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by kerryclan, Apr 26, 2005.

1. kerryclan

kerryclan

Hey, guys, Mr. Kerry loves this stuff and the only way I make it is to saute with garlic, olive oil and a little grated cheese and seasoning at the end. Does anyone have other ways of cooking this delicate leafy green? I'm tired of this one.

Also, he calls it "dead leaf." Is this another name for swiss chard? Or, is he snarking my cooking??? :mad:

Moderator - your message box is full. You may want to move this to Recipes. Sorry. I'm burnt on Mondays!

2. keeperofthegood

keeperofthegood

Hey oh

As I understand it, the chards are a beet that does not develope the beet root. IE, they are a type of beet green. I have used these in a number of ways, and there are ways I have yet to use them. I could suggest a pure type soup with them, or if using the white variety a cream soup (same as cream of spinach). Also, any US South recipe that calls for "greens" can use the chards easly enough.

Oh, and if anyone knows, can they be eaten raw?

3. flash

flash

U got it...

Use it as you would spinach.

flash

4. thetincook

thetincook

Exp:
    Line Cook
    We make a really cool lentil soup with swiss chard at work.

Shourbital Aldis

Sweat short julliened swiss chard with diced yellow onion and minced garlic in olive oil and salt. Add green de puy lentils and sweat for ~ five minutes or so. Add stock (chicken or veg) to cover by one inch or so. Cook untill lentils are soft and the soup is a little creamy. Add more stock if neccesary during cooking. Finish with lemon juice and chopped cilantro. Top with cayenne flavored croutons.

5. keeperofthegood

keeperofthegood

Hey oh

Your soup name didn't come up on google, but under the simpler lentil and chard soup a tone of soups did.
    http://www.google.ca/search?num=100&...d+soup&spell=1

The chards are a nice green, with a mild flavour. Mustard greens and water cress are more pepperyer, and dandilion and radish greens tend towards the bitter, spinach is just like spinach and collards and kale are a sharper flavour than cabbage and nicer to eat (and can also be used just like). I'd suggest trying all these greens on a sunny sunday afternoon, all in the same recepi and seeing how they compare.

:D

6. dano1

dano1

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    as said, excellent in hearty soups, minestre, etc. Also consider using as stuffing for pastas. Little cheese, egg to bind, stuff as ravioli.

7. kerryclan

kerryclan

^ Thanks, all! ;) I appreciate the ideas and link. I'll have some fun from here.

8. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Saute chopped stems with garlic and onions, add red pepper flakes, white raisins or currants, apple cider viniager, then finish with the chopped leaves.

Mascarpone, parmesan, wilted chard as a rav filling or use in a lasagna with ricotta.

I like it with pasta too....or in a ministroni.

9. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I finally tried some last week. My reluctance stemmed from the fact that I hate beets (sorry, Jim!). I washed, dried and chopped them. I sauteed them in garlic and olive oil until just tender (like spinach). I should have paid attention to my palate's memory, because I wasn't very fond of them. My husband ate some, but I won't use them for a sauteed veg again. I will concede they may be good in soup, though.

10. keeperofthegood

keeperofthegood

Hey oh

Or just steamed and buttered, pinch of salt. That is my prefered way to use them.

Nice served with bbq'd sausages :D or bbq'd chicken :D :D

11. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I like mine just sauteed with bacon and onions. It seems that bacon and onions make everything taste better. :p It then usually finds its way into being mixed with my mashed potatoes on my plate. Not really a recipe, but hey, it works for me.

It also makes a great accompaniment to BBQ Pork Butt, done North Carolina style.