Sweetex

Discussion in 'Professional Pastry Chefs' started by backtobasics2, Jun 29, 2016.

1. backtobasics2

backtobasics2

Exp:
    Just Graduated From Culinary School
    I have a number of recipes that call for sweetex.  In an effort to go all natural I want to eliminate this product.  Does anyone have any experience?  I don't think I can do a once for once butter substitution.  

2. jcakes

jcakes

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    You're probably going to have to switch recipes entirely.  Depending on whether it's a frosting or cake recipe you might have to make so many other adjustments that the effort might be better spent on developing/perfecting new recipes to use.

chefpeon and flipflopgirl like this.
  3. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I would first try cisco in the smallest batch possible.

4. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    When "they" dropped the trans fats from Crisco I switched to a high ratio shortening for my "decorator buttercream" as it seemed to hold up better in the heat.
    I bought a tub to bring to the beach just in case someone wanted an event cake.
    Well Friday the next door glamper said they would bake a cake if I would ice and decorate and being a good neighbor I agreed.

Turned the camper upside down looking for that tub 'o white gold.
    Maybe I left it at home?
    Called the fisherman and asked him to look....
    He replied right away....Oh Bob ( real name as there are no innocents to protect in this story) ran out of Crisco and still had to fry the hush puppies so I loaned it to him. Don't worry he will pay you back.
    Gotta love 'em because you can't kill 'em.

mimi

Edit to ask..... can you even fry with this product?
    I would think it would smoke like crazy .....
    Not being a fan of Bob's (not much hand washing going on over there) cooking have no clue how his puppies turned out.

m

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016