Sweet Vermouth

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by kokopuffs, Mar 29, 2002.

1. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Need recommendation to an alternative, a different brand, to Martini and Rossi Sweet Vermouth as an aperitif. Just exploring.

The way I prepare the aperitif is to drop an ice cube into a glass (that's smaller than an old fashioned glass) , pour in some sweet vermouth, and finally add a twist of lemon zest. The drink is light and tasty.

2. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    I usually use grinded ice instead of ice-cubes.

I will try the lemon peel, I have never thought of that.

3. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    KOKO,

Are you looking for a different "Brand" of vermouth? A different way to prepare your vermouth? or a whole new aperitif?

4. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    CC, I'm searching for a different brand of vermouth.

5. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Koko,

I use Noilly Prat Vermouth, I find it the most refined of the lot.

Give it a try.

6. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Thanks!

:bounce:

7. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Has anyone tried Campari along with the other sweet vermouths mentioned in this thread? How does it compare it terms of flavor to the others?

8. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Kokopuffs,

I honestly am not a big fan of vermouth and Campari as a drink, I do like to cook with vermouth though.

Have you ever tried Lillet from France? It's a very nice golden colored Aparitif flavored with orange.

It has a nice balance of acid to help stimulate your taste buds
    cc

9. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Oh, CC -- for once I must disagree with you. I LOVE Campari! On the rocks, with a twist of lemon. It is lightly sweet, lightly bitter, and lightly alcoholic; makes an excellent aperitif in that it really stimulates the juices in the mouth. Lillet, on the other hand, I find merely sweet and insipid (both light and dark versions).

Although to my palate, the best aperitifs are 1) a glass of champagne or good quality domestic sparkling wine or 2) a lovely dry fino or manzanilla sherry. Lustau makes some consistenly excellent sherries for not very high prices.

10. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Some weeks have passed since the last post, allowing me to evaluate several sweet vermouths. Side by side tastings were not conducted. Here are my preferences in descending order:

Noilly & Pratt: not quite as round and sweet as Martini & Rossi, but equally sweet as Cinzano. Expresses a very silght bitterness reminescent of Benedictine. Great on the rocks with a thin slice of lemon to balance the bitterness.

Martini & Rossi: round and slightly sweet. No bitterness like al the others. Again great on the rocks with a twist of lemon peel for sharpness.

Cinzano: slightly more bitterness that Noilly & Pratt and benefits greatly with a thin slice of lemon for balance. Less sweet and less round than M&R.

Campari: way too bitter for me yet tastes good mixed with fresh grapefruit juice on the rocks.

Lillet (orange colored): yeeeech is all I can say. It gives me stomach cramps. So bitter that it really needs citrus slices. I plan to give it a try as either a spritzer or a marinade for pork.

11. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Thanks for the report! (Sorry you didn't like Campari; Oh well, more for me ;) )

12. david jones

david jones

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    say "YES"