Sweet potatoes

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by marmalady, Mar 21, 2002.

1. marmalady

marmalady

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    At Thanksgiving this year, my father-in-law presented me with a bushel of home-grown NC sweet potatoes. I thanked him sweetly, and slowly went into a mental panic trying to think of different ways to use them before they went. Here's what I've come up with so far (and I'm almost at the bottom of the basket!)

-Baked sweet potato slices with maple/bourbon/butter/pecan sauce

-Sweet potato fries

-Plain baked sweet potato with sage butter

-Sweet potato muffins

-Sweet potato pie

-Sweet potato pastry crust (great for potpies!)

-Sweet potato latkes

-Three-potato potato salad

-sweet potato creme brule

Did I miss anything? More suggestions?! We're not great on the classic sweet potatoes with marshmallows - too sweet!

2. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    As a filling for ravioli, or as the basis for a pureed soup (in both cases, inspired by the use of butternut squash).

3. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    crepes
    pancakes
    spice cake, I make a roulade with bourbon cream cheese frosting
    samosas
    gratin with guyere
    chips

4. foodnfoto

foodnfoto

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    How lucky you are to have such a fine supply of NC sweet potatoes! My ex (a NC organic farmer) grows some of the finest sweet potatoes I've ever had from a seed lot originated by his grandfather---calls them Dawson Dillies. After baking, they drip with sweet syrup when torn into.
    Here are some other ideas for using sweet potatoes:

Sweet potato biscuits (fold chopped, cooked potes into dry mix, then add buttermilk)-great with ham slices and honey mustard

African peanut and sweet potato stew

Sweet potato, corn and wild rice pilaf (try a little fresh marjoram in this one)

Sweet potato gratin with goat cheese and sliced almond topping

Sweet potato and apple saute (terrific as a side to pork chops)

Sweet potato-pecan waffles

5. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    -Twice Baked sweet potatoes with cheddar and bacon

-Root vegetable "risotto"

-Port braised rabbit under sweet potatoes (a la Shepard's Pie)

-Sweet Potato Hash

-Sweet Potato Pancakes (latkes) studded with wild game sausage

-Sweet Potato crusted trout

6. marmalady

marmalady

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    OMG - I am literally smacking my head, going 'wow, I could have had a V-8!" Thank you all! I can now plough through the remaining taters with joy!!!!:bounce:

7. kimmie

kimmie

How about a Caribbean Sweet Potato Salad

Here is the list of ingredient:

1 large russet potato, peeled and quartered
    1 large sweet potato, peeled and quartered
    1 cup corn
    1 teaspoon prepared Dijon-style mustard
    2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
    1 clove garlic, minced
    3 tablespoons canola oil
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 cucumber, halved lengthwise and chopped
    1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
    1/4 cup finely chopped peanuts

I suppose you'll be able to wing it from here on. :p

or Sweet Potato Burritos

3 teaspoons vegetable oil
    1 onion, chopped
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    6 cups canned kidney beans, drained
    2 cups water
    3 tablespoons chili powder
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    4 teaspoons prepared mustard
    1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
    3 tablespoons soy sauce
    4 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
    12 (10 inch) flour tortillas, warmed
    8 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese

8. brreynolds

brreynolds

...is interesting when sweet potatos are substituted for white potatoes. For example, I have a recipe for one from France that uses red wine, a little stock, thyme and a crumbled bay leaf (also sliced onions and of course garlic) that came out quite good when I made it with sweet potatoes. It just took a little longer baking to absorb the same amount of liquid as the white potatoes did in the standard hour.

9. marmalady

marmalady

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I may have to call Pop-in-law to ask for another bushel!!!

10. chiffonade

chiffonade

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Don't know if you're still looking at this thread but grilled sweet potato slices are out of this world.

When I do grilled veggie platters I have to make a TON of sweet potatoes because they're the first to go.

Scrub sweets.
    Slice lengthwise...This can be tricky. Your knife is going to want to go one way and you have to direct it another. If you use a chef's knife, this "pull" will be very hard to maneuver around but if you use a "veggie cleaver" shaped knife, it's easier. Cut slices about 1/4" thick.
    Make a mixture of corn oil (or other neutral oil), a pinch of salt, and REAL maple syrup. (Not Butterworth's or any of those.)
    Grill slices a few minutes on both sides with no baste. After that, brush the baste on and continue cooking until ...gooey looking (there is really no other way to say this). It should not take too long, depending on the thickness of the slices. Once they are cooked, you will see a distinct difference in color. The color will be deep orange as opposed to the pastel orange color of a raw slice.

After you've done this a few times, it will make more sense. Make plenty.

11. dear abby

dear abby

My dearest Marmalady,

You are no doubt aware of Dear Abby's love of archaeology. Whenever possible, she visits interesting sites. Were you aware that archaeological remains of the actual tubers and roots of potato and sweet potato were found in Peru? Some of the remains actually dated to the Neolithic Period (and perhaps to the end of the last Ice Age, or 8000 B.C.).

But, you are not interested in this! No, you ask for recipes! Dear Abby has once again wrested one of her favorite recipes away from Chef Henri to submit to you!

Voilà!

Apricot-Glazed sweet Potatoes

1 pound dried apricots
    12-ounce can apricot nectar
    1 cup water
    4 pounds sweet potatoes
    1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
    6 tablespoons butter, melted
    2 tablespoons orange juice
    1 tablespoon grated orange zest
    1/2 cup pecan halves

In medium saucepan, cover apricots with the apricot nectar and water. Let stand 1 hour to soften fruit. Place over moderate heat and simmer, uncovered, until apricots are very tender, about 40 minutes. Cool and drain well, reserving the liquid for glaze.

Scrub sweet potatoes, place on baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes, or until just tender when pierced by fork. Cool, peel and cut into lengthwise slices about 1/4-inch thick.

Arrange a layer of sweet potatoes in lightly buttered 2-quart (7"x11") shallow baking dish. Cover with layer of apricots. Repeat, alternating layer of potatoes and apricots. Sprinkle top of casserole with brown sugar.

In small bowl, mix 1/2 cup of the reserved apricot liquid with melted butter, orange juice, and orange zest. Pour this mixture over the layers.

(May be refrigerated, covered, for 2 days at this point. Before serving, bring to room temperature before baking.)

Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 40 minutes, basting occasionally with liquid in bottom of dish. Remove from oven and place pecans on top and baste again with liquid. Return to oven and bake again until casserole is bubbling and top is well glazed, 5 to 10 minutes.

Allow to stand for 10 minutes before cutting into squares and serving. Will serve 12 to 14.

Abby

12. chiffonade

chiffonade

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I work at Mesa Verde. It's really fascinating but I must admit to not knowing much about it until I began taking reservations for them. Incredible how the dwellings were built with no "technology" to speak of.

http://www.visitmesaverde.com

13. marmalady

marmalady

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    My Dear Abby,

Of course I am interested in the history of the food I eat - remember, I AM the Chili Queen! I did know that potatoes and yams originated in Peru and South America, as did the chili pepper, from which the world is still discovering its many delights. I must humbly admit, however, that I did not know that the mummified remains of sweet potatoes had been unearthed in Peru; so I accept with much humility your educating me on this little known fact!

PS - Thanks for the recipe, too!

Chiffonade - Doesn't the maple syrup burn on the grill?

14. dear abby

dear abby

Maramalady, you honor Dear Abby far too much. She is a mere dilettante.

As Chiffonade points out, there are wonderful archaeological sites right here in this country. Does familiarity indeed breed contempt? Dear Abby regrets that although she has been to Tuscany and other fascinating sites, she has not explored those so much closer to home.

Dear Abby is reminded of a statement attributed to Diogenes,

Abby

15. chiffonade

chiffonade

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    That's part of the purpose of cooking the sweet potato slices for a few minutes with no baste. The baste is to "finish" them. Like with any sweet glaze, you have to watch them closely. When you get the "feel" for them, they're much more manageable.

16. marmalady

marmalady

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Chif - DUH - I knew that - really I did! Senior moment?:blush: