Sweet potato in a pressure cooker - how long?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by riffwraith, Dec 7, 2017.

1. riffwraith

riffwraith

Exp:
    At home cook
    For a typical SP, which normally takes 1hr - 1.25 hrs in a conventional oven @ 350, how long in a pressure cooker, about?

2. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    No idea. What are you trying to do with a sweet potato in a pressure cooker? Are cooking it whole? In it's jacket? Are you going to puree or mash it?

3. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    At 15 pounds, about 20 minutes for whole, 6 minutes for chunks.

4. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I just did this with my instantpot and put in two at 18 minutes for high. The outside was too mushy but the centers were perfect.

french fries likes this.
  5. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    You can cut the cook time by 15 minutes by baking at 400. And can cut almost 30 minutes at 450.

6. scott livesey

scott livesey

Exp:
    At home cook
    I use the microwave for sweet potatoes, about 8 minutes for two medium. I stopped boiling them when I found baking in oven or microwave had better flavor and no nutrients down the drain.

7. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Why not just throw them into the oven on a piece of foil and let roast while you are doing other things? No clean up with the foil.

8. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Likewise, for mashed sweet potato I stopped boiling after learning this technique: peeled and chunked sweet potato in a pot with a lump of butter, a glug of cream and a splash of maple syrup. Cool over medium heat, covered, stirring occasionally until smooth. Stir more vigorously as they soften to avoid over cooking or scorching. All nutrients and flavor stays in the pot.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  9. nicko

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I think for many applications the slow cooker or microwave is a better option. The last thing I want to do during hot summer days is crank up the oven to 450. having sweet potatoes cooked in 18 minutes is a great option.

10. nicko

Exp:
    Former Chef
    The topic is: Sweet potato in a pressure cooker - how long?"

11. riffwraith

riffwraith

Exp:
    At home cook
    Thanks for the replies.

What are you trying to do with a sweet potato in a pressure cooker?

Cook it whole, then cut it open, and add butter and br. sugar, or cinn and honey.

At 15 pounds, about 20 minutes for whole, 6 minutes for chunks.

Thanks.

You can cut the cook time by 15 minutes by baking at 400. And can cut almost 30 minutes at 450.

Not here... :/

Why not just throw them into the oven on a piece of foil and let roast while you are doing other things? No clean up with the foil.

B/c sometimes I am hungry, and want it quicker.

Microwave - no way.

Cheers.

12. nicko

Exp:
    Former Chef
    @riffwraith I agree the pressure cooker really has it's place and you can achieve an excellent end product with a little practice. Recently I purchased an Instantpot which is a steamer, pressure cooker and slow cooker rolled into one. It really does a nice job but you have to practice that is what I have found. My sweet potatoes were good but I am actually think of wrapping them in foil next time to protect them as the outer part was a bit mushy. What type of pressure cooker are you using? Did you test the sweet potatoes yet? Let me know how it turns out.