sweet potato chips

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by gummy-bear, Sep 21, 2010.

1. gummy-bear

gummy-bear

Exp:
    s:12:"At home cook";
    I attempted to make baked sweet potato chips today. I sliced them into little rounds, patted them dry, put them on a preheated baking sheet, salted them, and baked on each side for 10 minutes or so in a 425 degree oven. The edges crisped beautifully but little bubbles began to form on the potato, and the inside of it was not the crisp texture I craved. I have a feeling the slices were not thin enough and that is what caused the texture but what caused the bubbles? Any suggestions for a better, crisper, sweet potato chip?

2. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    I would guess two things, or a combination of them. Yeah, they were probably too thick. Sweet potatoes contain both a lot of moisture and a lot of sugar. Concievably, the bubbles where formed by steam lifting carmelized sugar.

I would guess, too, that your "chips" were not very chip like in the end, but had soft centers, more like a baked sweet potato.

3. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Try slicing with a Mandolin(real thin) spray with a dash of Pam.

4. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    I would soak the raw chips in iced water for a bit before patting them dry.

5. titomike

titomike

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    A quick way for a garnish is to peel long strips & deep-fry...submerge and 'stir', lift before you have your desired colour as they'll keep darkening as they drain...use a julienne peeler and you have straw potatoes.

5mm rounds done slowly in duckfat (Sarladaise) will crisp up on the reheat...like double dunking fries for extra crispy...with a thinner round, might work with your original method.

6. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    There's an actual dish where you want the potato slices to puff into big bubbles. Can't think of the name though.

7. kirstens

kirstens

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Did you drizzle any olive oil on them?

8. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    I believe you're thinking of "pommes soufflées" a.k.a. "pommes de terre soufflées":

[​IMG]

9. gummy-bear

gummy-bear

Exp:
    Holy smokes, thanks for all the replies.Titomike, your ideas sound delicious but the whole reason I've started playing with sweet potatoes is because I'm working at eating healthier. As delicious as deep frying and duck fat sounds, I'm gonna have to pass on them for a little while.French Fries, nice to see you again. Why would you soak them in ice water? Am I missing something there? Kirsten, it wasn't olive oil but I did spray them with pam to help crisp and help the salt stick.

I will drag out my slicer the next time I make them, and I have more sweet potatoes waiting for sacrifice. The puffy thing, pommes soufflées looks good too. That is going into google. 

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

10. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    I was afraid you'd ask. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif

The truth is I'm not sure why, but it does make them crispier, even if you fry them much later. Maybe some kind of reaction with the starch? Anyway if you have time next time, maybe try soaking one batch in ice water, see if you notice the difference?

11. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Potato Souffle . Cut thin then cooked, then chilled then cooked again in hot fat served right away

12. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Did you say salt?? salt will tend to make soggy, as it draws moisture in particular before cooking.

13. gummy-bear

gummy-bear

Exp:
    For you, I will try it and let you know.

14. gummy-bear

gummy-bear

Exp:
    I didn't think I put that much salt. Would a little bit have done the trick? Maybe a combination of the thick-ish slices and the salt. I have a feeling I'm going to be needing more sweet potatoes.

15. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Man I love Pomme Souffle. Trying to get them right is always a challenge. Eating the rejects of course is half the fun........

16. cook-e

cook-e

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Talk about healthy....!  Baked sweet potato chips.  Love this.   I wonder how thin you could get them with a vegetable peeler?  Haven't tried the ice water bath, but sounds like a good idea.  Thanks for the post - I'm going to try this, too!  Ruth

17. tenchie

tenchie

Exp:
    At home cook
    I adore sweet potatoes and will try this /img/vbsmilies/smilies//smile.gif mmm mmm

this is the best board ever! /img/vbsmilies/smilies//smile.gif

great ideas /img/vbsmilies/smilies//smile.gif

18. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    is because I'm working at eating healthier.

Talk about healthy....! 

Can somebody please explain to me exactly what eating healthy means? I get more and more confused everyday.

For instance, as compared to white potatoes, it's true that sweets are lower in calories. But on almost every other important measurement, white potatoes come in better. They are significantly higher in protein, almost a wash so far as fat content, have more than twice the dietary fiber, have slightly more calcium, and are either equal or significantly higher in important vitamins. While it's true that white potatoes are twice as high in carbohydrates, a significantly lower proportion of them are from sugars.

Here's the breakout. In each case the figures are based on 100 grams, cooked in their shells, without salt. The first figure is for sweet potatoes, the second for white ones. In terms of serving size, 100 grams is approximately 1/2 cup:

Kcal:  86, 198

Protein: 1.57 g, 4.29 g

Fat:  .05 g, .10 g

Carbs: 20.12 g, 46.06 g

Dietary fiber: 3.0 g, 7.9 g

Sugars: 4.18 g, 1.4 g

Calcium: 30 mg, 34 mg

Vit C: 2.4 mg, 13.5 mg

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  19. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    KYH, figures don't lie! It is OBVIOUS! Sweet potatoes have only 43% of the calories of white potatoes /img/vbsmilies/smilies/laser.gifBINGO! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/crazy.gif

20. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    So, Pete, are you saying that the only thing that counts in "healthy" is the calorie count; and the rest of nutrition can be tossed out the window?