Sweet corn

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by botanique, Aug 26, 2005.

1. botanique

botanique

Exp:
    Other
    We have an abundance of corn, and I don't have a crowd to cook for anymore... I guess that's why I'm working on recipes now LOL Ahhh, the evolution of a former cook.... Anyhow, I hate to freeze it, and have been experimenting with chowder, fritters, salsas etc. Anyone have any exciting ideas? I promise to give full credit! ;)

2. cheech

cheech

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    At my restaurant in Cincinnati, we make a corn broth and use it in a linguini pasta dish. A good way to use up some of that extra corn...

3. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    There are many great relishes, chunteys, etc. that you can make and can. I would never can corn as a vegetable, but it makes great relishes and chowchows that you can then enjoy all year long. Also I am a fan of freezing corn. That way I can enjoy sweet corn all winter. I think that our generation as an aversion to "preserved" foods (canned and frozen) because our parents didn't "home preserve" but bought crappy store bought frozen and canned foods. Home preserving, if done properly can capture the essence of summer so that you can enjoy it all year long. I hear too many people nowadays begging for help to use up their excess from their gardens. I say preserve it!! You will be pleasantly surprised by the results if you do it in home.

4. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Make a dessert corn pudding or savory corn flan. Everyone seems to have an abundance of corn these days!

5. botanique

botanique

Exp:
    Other
    Relish/chutney <slapping palm to forhead> of course! I actually am fond of canning, and make my own jams and sauces, but I never have worked with corn this extensively before so I did not even think in that direction. Thank you. The broth I will also do, great idea. And I am greatly embarrased :blush: to say that I have never made flan, but I will give it a go!

I realize the topics/questions I present are simple to most of you, but I appreciate the time you take to give info.

Cheers!

6. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    My favorite salsa has black beans and corn.....tomatoes are prevalent now as are chilis....
    This was one of the WORST years for corn in Mo. and Illinois.....the drought was horrendous, it wiped out the majority of the corn in the area. What came in was not the premium sweet quality we're used to.....wormy, not developed....really rough. Our corn season is done.

7. canadianfem

canadianfem

My husband makes a great corn chowder and adds some flavourful ham. We especially like it with a honey maple ham that has been sauteed a little to bring out the sweetness.

Now, I want some hehehe.

8. shahar

shahar

Two recipes -

Corn gnoccies - Roast corn in the husk on a grill until nice and charred. Peel and decobe. Puree with some yolks, salt and a little suger if needed. Add soft flour. The mix would be we and sticky.
    Using flour on your hands, pluck little balls and make an indention in the middle(red blood cell shape). Drop in a pot of boiling salted water. When floating remove to cold water. Drain. Fry in some butter. I served this origanly with bacon burre blanc(pureed rendered bacon, reduced with WW, WWV and lemon, mounted with butter) and chinese chives.

Corn margarita - In a blender work fresh sweet corn, water, lime juice and suger. Pass through a fine strainer. Shake with taquila and triplesec.

9. botanique

botanique

Exp:
    Other
    Shahar -- We still have corn coming in, and I think these are two I would really like to try. Thank you so much!!!!

10. henry

henry

Exp:
    Home Cook
    We serve a hot corn dip that has, I believe, cream cheese, a little mayo, roasted red bell pepper, parm and jack cheese, some jalapeno, etc. We use cans of "Mexi-corn", but fresh roasted would be great. The dip is served hot in a shafer surrounded by tortillia chips. Always goes over well on the appetizer buffet table.

At the cafeteria at my day job (I dont work in the cafeteria), they have a soup called "fire roasted corn chowder". I love the name and have high expectations, but it's not quite what I would expect.

11. 100folds

100folds

I did a corn and tyme panacotta that I served with a mint coolis, people loved it. You cook the corn, puree it and pass it through a cheese cloth. Infuse the thyme in your milk and add the corn essence at the very last minute before you put it in your molds. Use the appropriate amount for flavoring. I don't know how sweet your corn is so I can't tell you the ratios but it is very good.
    Those other ideas sound wonderful.