Survey Question. Best hot dog

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by chef tomain, Aug 7, 2010.

1. chef tomain

chef tomain Banned

Exp:
    Former Chef
    What is the best brand of hot dogs? ,just the dog not the bun.

What is favorite topping for hot dog?

2. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Sorry to say I don't know the brand of dog I like best.  There's this place in Salt Lake, Little Dave's Deli, that offers a regular and a spicy dog for $1.99 - one of the best quick, hot lunch items in town.

The vast majority of times I do eat a hot dog there is saurkraut, onions and some sort of mustard involved, pickles of various types close to hand.

mjb.

3. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Have you seen this thread ? 

National Hot Dog Day  

I must say that mustard and onions are great....all of what Team said.

But as far as the hotdog goes....Coney island- Nathan's

This year they had their hotdog "who can eat the most".........I am not really into stuff like this....but there is just something about bizarre and weird ,   makes it .......well, I got a bit nauseous ....3 cheers for Sonia though....now she can eat !

over 7 dogs a minute.....ummmmm, insane.

4. mikelm

mikelm

Exp:
    Home Chef
    For a pretty-much national brand, I have to suggest Vienna all-beef, natural-casing dogs. It's the Chicago Hot Dog staple, (I capitalize because this is a recognized and well-defined formulation of hot dog preparation permitted virtually no substitutions or variations; if you do, it ain't a CHD.)

Mike

5. mikelm

mikelm

Exp:
    Home Chef
    PETALS...

Coney island- Nathan's ...This year they had their hotdog "who can eat the most".........

I think these eating contests are just disgusting. When they're put up on television, I'm gone.

Not suggesting you like them  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif   Just saying.

Mike

6. I second this.

7. boatchef

boatchef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I like (if you are grilling them) Bar S brand.  It is carried by Costco.  Also they sell a new bun called a Snuggle.  Split the dog, grill it, stuff it in a snuggle and top with jalapano cheese.  Amazing!

8. Guest

Guest Guest

I used to make hot dogs at our local butcher shop. We used Bologna seasoning and all beef trimmings. Maybe it was that I choose the beef, ground the meat, and stuffed the casings I thought they were the best. But the second best I ate were AAA all beef wieners with no fillers. The casings were a little tough but the flavor is off the charts. Mustard and sauerkraut all the way with a bakery hot dog roll and a old Coke (pre 1980).

9. left4bread

left4bread

Exp:
    mgmt
    For a USA brand; all beef, natural casing Nathan's. 

Toppings?  Spicy brown mustard.  MAYBE mayonnaise (I know, gross, right?) and a slice of melted Swiss cheese.

If it's a decent dog I want to taste the dog, not the toppings.

And, agreed, Dave; bakery roll with a Mexican Coke.

10. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Nathans used to be made to spec. by Hygrade out of Michigan. My favorite is Hebrew National

When I give to help for lunch  they are called TUBESTEAKS

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  11. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Mike,

It is rare for me to eat hotdogs to begin with, but when I do , I buy Nathan's. When I was young my parents brought me to Coney, I guess that is why I buy them (childhood memories).

I think all food competions like that are sad. Any person who can stand there and eat over 40 plus hotdogs has to be out of their mind.

Everything in moderation..........

12. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Petals, the thing to understand is that none of those "eat-the-most-of" contests are about food. They're about competition. Food is just the medium they choose.

There's actually an association of competition food eaters, and a professional circuit.

13. mikelm

mikelm

Exp:
    Home Chef
    KYH (the tin can sailor /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif) -

"There's actually an association of competition food eaters, and a professional circuit."

That's probably why Bin Laden hates us.

Mike  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

14. bhtoad

bhtoad

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Don't know if these guys are national, but up in Beantown, Kayem makes a great dog.  Better than a Fenway Frank.  Love it with some Atlantic Brewing Co. Real Ale Mustard, relish and onions.

15. highlander01

highlander01

Exp:
    Other
    The most common brand where I live is Ball Park and I get the all beef ones myself (I kinda like to know what's in my dog ... no snouts and whatnot)

As far as toppings ohh man!!!!

I like them topped with chili, jalapenos and cheese/ chili and coleslaw/ onions, mustard and jalapenos .... but then again I will put Jalapenos and/or hot sauce on just about anything  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smiles.gif

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  16. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Are you sure the all beef dogs don't contain snouts and whatnot?  The "beef" part just means the parts used came from a cow, it doesn't specify which parts.

mjb.

17. dc sunshine

dc sunshine

Exp:
    Other
    Uggh - eating contests.

Back OT. Tastiest sausage is a cheese kransky, to me.  Toppings are incidental although onions, cheese, sauce and mild mustard tend to feature.  Plus diced and crisped diced bacon.  Even some soured cream.  Num nums :)

18. abefroman

abefroman

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Best's Kosher is way better than Nathan's, Vienna and Hebrew National.

Pickels

Cucumbers

Onions

Mustard

Celery Salt

Sport Peppers

Tomoatoes

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  19. abefroman

abefroman

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    The Kosher beef dogs have Rabbi's in the factory supervising the process.  So they would be limited to the Kosher parts of the animal.

20. rpmcmurphy

rpmcmurphy

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Local 'European Provisions' place a block away makes em...don't know what they put in them, and don't care, they are great.

That and if i had to pick a 'package', Best's in Newark NJ