Supper Club

Joined Aug 12, 2018
How would you go about advertising to get foodies to attend an underground supper club? Has anyone else done this? Anyone have personal experience they'd like to share?

Joined Mar 1, 2017
Yep, social media. But, be careful. I don't know where you live or if you are in the US, but, most states in the US frown upon unregulated commercial endeavors that involve food served from an unlicensed home kitchen.

If you are not careful, you could land yourself in some very serious and very expensive hot water.

Good luck. :)

Joined Aug 12, 2018
I'm just outside NYC. I read somewhere that as long as it is not more than 4 times per month, you are o.k. without permits. It seems to be a double edged sword. Lots of people are experimenting with this. There are a number of really successful underground supper clubs in Brooklyn, and in Europe, it is a huge thing. But it is hard to market something that is supposed to be so secretive if that makes sense.

Joined Oct 31, 2012
Word of mouth. Make up some bs exclusivity standard so people have something to tell their friends. Check out some others to see how they do it. I'm sure if you pick an interesting location or menu or both, you'll have plenty of people jumping on board.

Joined Mar 1, 2017
I'm just outside NYC. I read somewhere that as long as it is not more than 4 times per month, you are o.k. without permits. It seems to be a double edged sword. Lots of people are experimenting with this. There are a number of really successful underground supper clubs in Brooklyn, and in Europe, it is a huge thing. But it is hard to market something that is supposed to be so secretive if that makes sense.

Here is the law in New York State
https://regs.health.ny.gov/content/section-14-1194-enforcement

Here is the law in New York City.
https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/doh/downloads/pdf/about/healthcode/health-code-chapter6.pdf

Joined May 25, 2015
Yep, social media. But, be careful. I don't know where you live or if you are in the US, but, most states in the US frown upon unregulated commercial endeavors that involve food served from an unlicensed home kitchen.

If you are not careful, you could land yourself in some very serious and very expensive hot water.

Good luck. :)

I read somewhere that as long as it is not more than 4 times per month, you are o.k. without permits.

In NY at least, if money changes hands you are operating a business and if you are doing that from your home or apartment you are likely in violation of the local zoning. All it takes is one disgruntled neighbor and you have big problems. Also, what if someone trips or falls or otherwise gets hurt? You think they are going to say hey, this guy is doing this out of his home so I I'll just pay for the medical expenses myself? What is your insurance company going to say if you file a claim and the injured person says you were operating a restaurant?

On top of that there are health laws with, in particular requirements for sanitation and maintaining food at safe temperatures. Other than the fact that no home kitchen would be certified by the health department, I have no idea if you know anything about food safety or the cleanliness of your kitchen. No offense, but I even dislike eating food prepared by my relatives because I see how and where it is prepared.

And don't even think about what can happen if you serve alcohol.

So, there is no such thing as "as long as it is not more than 4 times per month, you are o.k. without permits". It's that you take money from the general public and are serving them food. If you do that only once you are breaking the law

If I were you I would make and invite lots of friends, not take a dime, become an expert on food safety and have fun.

Last edited:
Joined Jun 27, 2012
I see you are a caterer.
Where do you prep and prepare dishes for your day to day?
If you have room onsite and your insurance covers all of the bases and what you propose to do has been thoroughly vetted with your HD you may be good to go.
Otherwise like the Chefs have noted your risks would outweigh your benefits.

...or... have a friend "contract" with you for a catering at their home and let them collect the $$ and use that to pay you.
You design the menu as well as provide all the linens and crockery and service dishes (as well as servers).
Have no clue if that would be considered shady but doesn't hurt to research it IMO.

mimi

Top Bottom