Super Tenderizing Chicken Marinade - how did they do it?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by rick alan, Sep 13, 2019 at 7:03 PM.

1. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I recently bought a grocery rotisserie chicken I never tried before (it was a Shaws market), and it was amazingly tender, fall-apart almost mush tender, and juicy. I assume it was because of the marinade. Anyone know how they achieved this?

2. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
  3. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    The sodium tripolyphosphate stood out to me. That's what they treat "wet" scallops with to retain water and leads to that soggy mushiness in those kind of scallops.

4. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Me too. Super-duper brine! 17% added water.

5. carltonb

carltonb

Exp:
    CEPC CCE
    Having done this in our hotel kitchen, use a super brine plus pump the chicken with a lot of water.
    We used a tumbler which makes a vacuum condition to let the meat "pores" open up and absorb a lot of moister. In our tumbler we would have 2 cases of chicken (48), we would add a 5 gal bucket of brine/ flavored water/ marinade etc. After tumbling less than a quart was left.

This would allow us for banquets to hold the chicken longer and not dry out.
    The only problem we encountered was once in a while though the chicken was fully cooked the tissue was very pink and raw looking. This was due to some of the chemicals (phosphates) that were added.

6. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Ah vacuum tumbling.... what every meat dept and butcher loves, but is afraid to talk about it...

Most supermarkets offer chicken and pork that is “ flavour enhanced” “extra juicy” etc. As others have said this is accomplished with brine and/ or soy protein as well as liquid seasonings tumbled in a vacuum chamber. By most municipal laws the label must state the percentage of this liquid, which can be anywhere from 10% to a whopping 60% in some of the institutional poultry products.

The butchers love it because you increase the weight of your meat by 10-15%, and if you’re smart, can charge a premium for it as well.
    As you can tell from my post I’m not impressed with this practice, but have seen it being done for at least 30 years....

7. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Thanks all, this is all very interesting. I tell you though, they sell by the chicken and not the pound, and this was a very nice [mass produced] chicken to eat, so I wouldn't care if they did sell by the pound. Another example of life made better by science.