Super Bowl Food

Joined Jan 11, 2000
Don't know if this is the right place for this topic, but I was wondering (with the Super Bowl only 2 weeks away), what sort of spreads do you guys put out for game day. Just a bowl of chips or do you go all out? Ideas are welcomed!

Joined Oct 13, 2001
I like to set us guys up pretty well at home ( now that I have a job where I am off on sundays ) . We start with an assortment of popcorn from buttered to garlic to cheese and jalepeno . Next we normaly do wings with only a couple requests for mild as the hot and nitro seem to be the prefered . At half time I fire an assortment of homemade pizza and we usualy start munchin this at the beginning of the 3rd quarter . I like to finish with some decadent homemade ice cream which is normaly ready and served just towards the end of the game . There is no bartender as I run a BYOB party . Keep it simple oh and by the way ,
GO RAIDERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
You'd have to kill me to get me to watch a football game. But should I be dead and watching the game, I'd like to have some chicken wings, vegetarian chili, nachos, chips, pretzels. Cookies, petits bruns, fruit salad. Beer, wine, juices and water.

Joined Jan 5, 2001
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Isa, meet me at a nice restaurant for brunch on Super Bowl Sunday. We'll do a concert or a museum afterwards?!!

Joined Oct 13, 2001
WOMEN , Please support our anamilistic pastime for just one day please !!!! Its not that bad , trust me . Oh and if you can say "GO RAIDERS " it will even be a better day . My opinion thanks .

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
Chefboy, I am coming over to your place on game day!!! What a spread. I usually just do my famous superbowl chili, tortilla chips, and wide assortment of beers. And of course, plenty of floor room for everyone to sleep off the buzz, as no one is allowed to drive home after the game (rule #1 at my superbowl parties is it is a mandatory social drink at every flag thrown).

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
If the Oakland Raiders play then you better have lots of drinks! GO RAIDERS! yeah... GO BEARS! :)

Kuan

Joined Apr 19, 2001
Hi, chiliboy,

read your post last night, but was too tired to respond! My first thought was - is your superbowl party 'just the guys' or is it a couples party? For just the guys, I'd do just as you said - your popcorn sounds great! If the gals are coming, well maybe doll the menu up a bit. Not chi-chi frou-frou, but just maybe more veggie things - and not necessarily low fat, either! Kind of like the diet-coke with a donut philosophy!) One of my old standbys is the old spinach/dill dip in a black bread bowl, with breads and veggies as dippers. Or how about some quesadillas with cheese and mango, or chicken and cheese and mango? Or a white bean dip (cheap, cheap!!) with pita chips or crackers.

I just worked a superbowl cooking class with a chef who did a pretty complex menu (I thought) for a superbowl party; mini-croissant cheesesteak sandwiches; crab and mango quesadillas; chicken fra diavalo (not in a red sauce, just marinated in oil, vinegar and chile, then grilled); red potato salad. I actually thought it was rather fussy and not a lot could be done pre-game, if ya know what I mean!

As I'm a Buffalo fan, I have yet to choose a team, but go whoever!!! Don't nobody say nothin' about Buffalo!!!!!!!!!!

:D

PS - I meant no disparaging thoughts about 'guy food' versus 'guy and girl food'; just some thoughts!!

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
You're on Anneke! Just let me know when is Super Bowl Sunday...

Joined Apr 19, 2001
Live to Cook - Wasn't me! A chef/instructor I did a cooking class with put the menu together; altogether too fussy and time-consuming during game-time, in my opinion - but, the class was full and they all seemed to love it! I think his menu was aimed at folks using the superbowl as an excuse for having a get-together, not to actually watch the game!

I miss Buffalo - folks look at me like I'm nuts when I say that; we only lived there for three years, but we loved the town, and the people. We lived in a big old farmhouse just outside of Clarence. Sigh. Go Bills!

Joined Jul 31, 2000
I usaully follow the tried and true when it comes to the big game.

Big vat of chili simmering and I serve it with corn bread, I made some Empinadas and chorizo-black bean spring rolls. There in the freezer. Nachos, Mohagony and Buffalo style wings with celery sticks and blue cheese.Quacomole and salsa, this years I think i'll throw in some slouvaki. Some belguim ales and kettle one

Joined Aug 23, 2000
I was thinking crab and mango quesadillas sounds a bit dainty for most Super Bowl gatherings.

Yes, the houses here are wonderful aren't they? I'm going to guess that in NJ, you got half the house for twice the cost.

But at least your children will probably be able to find jobs nearby, if they wish.

Joined Aug 29, 2000
When we Wisconsinites gather to watch the GREEN BAY PACKERS, it would be sacrilegious to do so without cheese: cubes, dips, on chili, on our heads! A platter of cheese and sausage is a tradition, with chili and those little weenies in BBQ. Of course the same food trends are being followed here as elsewhere: wings, Asian snacks like spring rolls, empanadas... quite multicultural.

I have friends who simmer up a big pot of burgoo on game days. Usual beverages: beer and brandy in various forms. We drink more brandy than ANYONE IN THE WORLD- even France. Helps make Packer fans the best anywhere!

Joined May 1, 2001
I first read of burgoo in connection with sailing ships where it was a sort of sailors' gruel made with whatever might be available: Rice, pounded ship's biscuit, water from boiling salt pork.

The term currently appears to refer to a thick soup that's traditional in Kentucky and Southern Illinois. For instance, see: Arenzville Burgoo

Joined Jul 28, 2001
two large pots of dirty seafood gumbo , one hot for the men and one mild for the -----s. sourdough,Cornbread and a couple of cases of Shiner Bock.

Joined May 14, 2001
We are having a "Slow Food Iowa Super Chili Bowl". Paricipants are asked to bring their best chili or their favorite accompaniment for chili. I have one guy, one of my cooks, actually, who is from the Congo. He's bringing African Chili (whatever that is). In return he wants us to explain this "American Football" to him.

We also cater to you non-football types out there. My wife is a potter, and her studio will be open for people to make their own chili bowls.

If any of you happen to be in the hinterlands on 2/3/02, gimme a ring and you can join us too!

Peace,
kmf

Joined Nov 7, 2001
First, my Superbowl culinary question is, hot wings-grill or deepfry and dress? I've done both. It seems they are more tender if I parboil and then grill marinating with a hot chili sauce. Warming up for the Superbowl today! Since I'm in Missouri and the Rams are playing the Eagles. I'm putting spare ribs on and making pita chips for the white bean dip. Eclectic but doesn't almost (crab & mango quesadillas?) anything go with football.

Devotay, was in Iowa for the Iowa/Michigan footballl game (see restaurant raves for the Linn Street Cafe). My husband is a graduate of the dental college. Love Iowa City!

Eat Well no matter where you are!:bounce:

Top Bottom