SUN DRIED TOMATOES

Joined Jul 24, 2001
It's only a few days that I am trying to follow your interesting discussions up. I am not sure that I have figured out yet how the systems functions, so, I will post my question to several forums.Sorry about that!

This year I planted two varieties of tomatoes. I had in my mind to prepare (among other things of course) sun-dried tomatoes. All my attempts have failed so far :-(
It's such a disaster! I put them under the sun, covered by coarse sea salt. They become so salty that you cannot eat them afterwards. If I skip the sea salt they go rotten within 2 days. Another day wasps ...attacked them.
I hung them by a rope as they do in the island of Santorini. i think that I've been feeding the bees and the birds of the whole area...
Do you have any ideas about that? I begin to have doubts whether sun dried tomatoes exist or they are just tomatoes dried in the oven.
Please help me! I have about 20p of tomatoes waiting ...
Thanks in advance

Joined Jan 12, 2001
i've never tried drying them in the sun, but i've dried them in the oven tons of times. it works well.

cut them how you like (usually i halve them or peel and seed them and then work with the little "rosettes" you get) and then place them on a rack over a sheetpan.

where i worked we left them in the turned-off oven overnight...but you could use your oven on it's lowest setting if you want it to go faster. good luck.

Joined Jul 24, 2001
If I want to keep the greek tradition, I have to send a jar of sun dried tomatoes to everyone that helped me :rolleyes:
Thanks a lot! I used the oven and this was the end of the adventure!

Latest posts

Top Bottom