Sun Dried Tomatoes

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by dagger, Dec 27, 2005.

1. dagger

dagger

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    Costco sells a 2 lbs bottle of Bella Sun Luci Sun Dried Tomatoes in 100% Pure olive oil & Herbs. I'm wondering since these are packed in olive oil can the oil be used in cooking? The label says ingredients are: sun dried roma tomatoes, pure olive oil, herbs, spices, and this is the clincher it contains sulfites (for color retention), Would the sulfites be the problem in using the oil for cooking?? :chef:

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I've seen recipes that call for the oil from oil packed dried tomatoes. Never made them though.

I don't the think the sulfites would be a problem in cooking. Wine contains suflites and is used heavily in cooking. The sulfites are, however, a health concern to some and that is why it is listed on the labels.

Phil

3. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    I agree with Phil. Probably not a problem as long as you don't have issues with sulfites in the first place.

In any case, even if you don't want to use it for cooking (sauteeing, that is, not deep frying), you definitely DO want to keep and use the oil -- it's great in salad dressings and as a condiment to finish a dish.

4. castironchef

castironchef

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    You can make a wonderful, quick pasta salad by adding minced sun-dried tomatos, along with their oil to freshly-cooked pasta and adding a chiffanade of basil and crumbled feta. Chill and serve.

5. dagger

dagger

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    I have feta in my fridge, I'll have to give this a try. Can you go more into detail on this dish?? What is a chiffanade of basil i have freeze dried Basil? :chef:

6. jonk

jonk

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    >What is a chiffanade of basil i have freeze dried Basil?

Very thinly sliced "ribbons" (literally) of fresh basil. Looks pretty, tastes good. The freeze-dried basil would probably be an OK substitute for the flavor, but not the appearance or texture.

We do a version of this on hot pasta (the pasta heats the sauce) or one with marinated artichoke hearts.

7. castironchef

castironchef

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    JonK beat me to it.

There aren't any real "rules" for this very simple dish. Just get all of the pasta covered with the flavored oil and disburse the tomatoes, basil and feta fairly evenly.

Of course, a few sprigs of basil and crubled cheese on top make a simple and very attractive garnish.