Summer 2015; your food & drinks

Joined Feb 18, 2010
Chris, you are one talented chef and photographer!  Everything looks mouthwatering. Esp the clafoutis. 

Joined Apr 25, 2014
Nice! I wish that was a real school.  I'm in Massachusetts and the towns in those stories are somewhat real.  They're based on some real places and even real towns get mentioned in reference.  Just don't try to map it out or it will be totally wrong.

Joined Jul 20, 2015
Hey Chris!  I'm down in Australia so it's actually Winter here at the moment (brrr!) but this is one my my absolute favourites for the warmer months - strawberry, balsamic and black pepper ice-cream :) 

Joined Oct 2, 2010
Very inviting, @letsforker   and great idea to combine strawberries with black pepper, they are such good mates! Meanwhile, our summer temperatures have plunged from 30°C to 18-20° and, it's raining now. I bet your winters do even better than that!

Ah well, time to play a "Mikado" game. More in the next post.

Thanks for your contribution!

Joined Oct 2, 2010
Mikado of Cavaillon melon and Bayonne ham sticks

A rainy day, time to play Mikado. It's a variation of "melon de Cavaillon" with Parma ham. These small melons from the region of Cavaillon are immensely popular in summer for their sweet taste. A perfect combo with Parma ham, but I used the French Bayonne, also air dried, from the French Basque region. An improvisation that turned out quite well!

Here's how I made the sticks;

"Melon de Cavaillon", no more than a handful. Sweet and bright orange flesh.

Spread ham on one half of a store bought puff pastry sheet. Close with the other half and pin-roll both sides between baking paper.

Cut strips with a very sharp knife and roll.

Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle whatever you like on them; kummel, dried thyme, Spanish pimenton (yummmm), sesamy seeds....

Last edited:
Joined Jan 8, 2010
Chris, I tried your idea of leeks on the bbq yesterday and they came out very tasty.

Thanks

Joined Oct 2, 2010
Chicken Stroganoff

Grrrr, it's 18°C over here, windy and raining. I can't serve a cold dish, so maybe time for something old fashioned since I have the ingredients in my fridge. Stoganoff sauce is one of those things that you can improvise on.

Red onion, garlic, bell peppers, passata, cream (sour cream would be much better), vodka, chili powder instead of paprika powder, a bunch of tarragon and beef stock (I used half a tsp of paste,... oh noooo), oh and a few drops of tarragon vinegar. Simmer short enough to keep the peppers somewhat crunchy. The rest explains itself if you recognized the chicken breast.

Last edited:
Joined Oct 2, 2010
Salad with warm chicken and chipotle-mayo dressing

Chicken again, forgot to put the rest in the freezer, but, no problem, I could eat this salad every day of any summer!

Salad as you like. I used romaine, cucumber, tomato, chives.

Panfried chicken breast with spring onion and red chili, all put on top of the salad at the ultimate last minute just before serving. Dressing is a mix of thinned homemade "10 seconds" mayo and chipotle hot sauce.

Last edited:
Joined Sep 5, 2012
Its the wifes birthday today. Her mom make this tort for her every year

Sponge cake layers brushed with chambord
Pastry cream inbetween the layers
Un sweetened whipped cream covering
Sliced bananas, wild strawberries, and blueberries on top, sometimes but not this year wineberries.

Joined Oct 2, 2010
@MillionsKnives  too bad you're so far away, I would gladly come and help you Saturday to... eat along and watch you cooking /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

@Lagom  sounds like you own a great mother in law! What a great birthday cake! Kiss the misses for me, will you?

Joined Oct 2, 2010
Cauliflower pasta with almonds

In fact, I was planning to make "albondigas con almendras", Spanish meatball tapa that I ate a few times in the same place in Spain. They wouldn't give me a recipe, but I tried and tried to recreate it. This time I'm on the right track, except, I had no mince in the house! So I made what I thought to be an almond/garlic paste that is probably used in the albondigas and put it in my cauliflower dish.

The cauliflower dish was planned to be a "pasta alla Siduri", most members here know that I'm talking about a much appreciated dish proposed by our member @siduri,  a simple combo of cauliflower, garlic and chili on pasta.

So, I ended up with this cauliflower pasta with almonds. It's simply sensational!

Here's how;

We kind of have top class vegetables over here. Look at this cauliflower; equally white and very dense. You'll need also blanched almonds, a lot of garlic and a few chili flakes.

The cauliflower is not boiled but panfried in olive oil. Cut the large florets in 4 through their stem, that will keep them whole and it will be easier to turn and color them. Once they have a color, s&p, reduce fire and put a lid on the pan. Use enough cauliflower, the florets will shrink quite a lot!

Meanwhile, blend the blanched almonds and a lot of garlic with parmesan, s&p, chili flakes and cream into a paste. When the cauliflower is nearly done, add this thick paste to the pan and stir gently. Let fry slowly for another 10 minutes or so. One of my best pasta dish ever!!

I used a big handful of almonds, 1/2 tsp of chili and 4 cloves of garlic and just enough cream to turn it into a paste.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom