Suggestions on how to deal with claret in meats.

Joined Jan 5, 2004
Particularly beef. I'm not sure which part of the animal I'm cutting and cooking up, but the texture is rather moist. Having left it to marinade in some spices and herbs, I typically stir fry with a few peppers and veggies, but a constant problm is that claret starts to come out of the beef.

Honestly, I do not cook a lot of lean beef (sirloins?), mostly ground, or steaks from the super market; however, these are from the butcher and come plenty juicy.

How can I get rid of as much of it, without spoiling the taste? soak/wash in baking soda?

As always, thanks in advanced.

Joined May 9, 2003
Claret?? I thought that was a generic term for a table wine from Bordeaux??

If you have beef that makes wine I want to know who your butcher is!LOL! :D

I think what you mean is the milky white residue seeping from the beef?

Joined Jul 31, 2000
I want to "meat" (sic) that butcher as well.

If your meat is wet you will be basically steaming/boiling it in the pan.

It is the collagen that you are refereeing to,be sure your pan is hot, not to much fat and pat dry your beef of it's marinade.

give it a shot

Joined Jan 5, 2004
You folks slay me!

I've been using the the words claret and blood interchangebly; perhaps I should stop.

The collagen makes the soup murky, if the recipe calls for stew or soup, but I'll more often than not, stir fry it in a pan with some veggies.

Cape chef, I also tend to cook it longer than the usual recommended time, because I'm fearful of undercooked meats.

Joined May 26, 2001
Others may call this heresy, but you might want to let the sliced meat dry a bit in the refrigerator before you cook it. Slice it as you would for your stir-fry, lay it out on a plate or tray, and put it in the fridge UNCOVERED for a few hours to let the surface dry. And as already been mentioned, if you marinate the meat, pat it completely dry before you add it to the pan.

Another possibility, if you're stir-frying, is to coat the meat with cornstarch/cornflour before you add it to the hot oil. (BTW, is your oil really, really hot? Searing the outside of the meat will help some.)

I'm a little surprised that you don't want the extra moisture, if you tend to cook the meat longer; it's moisture that you will need to keep the meat chewable.

Top Bottom