Suggestions for a smoker anyone?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by kuan, Jul 1, 2015.

1. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
  2. hamiltonbarnes

hamiltonbarnes

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Get a weber smokey mountain. The 18.5 is probably the best all around for fuel efficiency. Or build a UDS drum smoker out of a 55 gallon drum.

3. eolian

eolian

Exp:
    Home Chef
    If you know running a smoker is something you like/want to do then one cant go wrong with the Big Green Egg. I have one and use it every week.
    My first smoker i built out of a 55 gallon new steel drum. It`s called a UDS "ugly drum smoker" i still use it for ribs and what not. The plans are on the net. I built mine for under $100. It`s a good way to see if you like smoking food without a lot of expense.

Hahaha, as i was typing about a UDS the post above me mentioned it...what he said.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  4. kuan

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I really need the surface area though.  Ideally a side box mount one because I know how to get good results with one.  I'm not so sure I know how to use one where the heat is coming from the bottom.

5. nate

nate

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    For home use, i use the same Char griller of set smoker you have pictured.  I am currently modifying the smoke stack and adding a high temp gasket so it cooks more evenly.

If I was to upgrade i would be looking at http://www.rectecgrills.com/ .  First and foremost, it looks F&^#ing awesome!  Look at those bull horns, i mean come'on.

6. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    @kuan

Have you ever used a vertical smoker? Not sure, there may be you tubes about using one. Just to get an idea. I'm married to mine. 

They also make an off set vertical so it should be like what you're doing now. Some of them are reasonably priced and around 1000 sq in.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  7. kingfarvito

kingfarvito

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I also really love my vertical smoker

8. kuan

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I suppose I could learn.  It's just I am so used to a flat smoker.

9. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    @kuan   I assume you're dry smoking. What type of fuel are you using.

They do make offset vericals.

The thing I enjoy with the vertical (I have both) is it is a little easier to tend. It's a bit more consistant in temp.

I also prefer to hot water smoke. It keeps the product moister. I use a combo of wood charcol and wood.

When I fire the off set I use wood only. I find it more laborious to keep the fire hot though. Real pit roasters

will swear by the off set. They also mop.

10. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    @kuan what's your budget?

11. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
  12. oldschool1982

oldschool1982

Exp:
    Retired Chef
     Dude? Duuuuuude!

This is the one!  http://thegood-one.com/

No pun intended. 

I've been dreaming about this particular brand for 12 years now. Maybe some day but not even remotely possible in the next 6 years. My old Sam's Club Stainless steel one is holding on and a good thing too.

Hope everyone is well unfortunately no time to chat. gotta try and get some sleep before tomorrow.

Regards.

13. kuan

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Ooh OK.  I didn't mention price range because this morning I had no idea how much these things could cost!  I was thinking $300 but I guess I'll have to rethink things a bit.  

@oldschool1982  good to see you check in once in a while.  :)

14. knife nut

knife nut

Exp:
    Other
    You can buy a smoker . Or make your own

15. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    For me, the factors to consider on a smoker purchase

1) Fuel source - stick burner or hardwood lump

2) Insulation - kamados are great, cabinet smokers too for more capacity.  Amazing fuel usage and temperature control.  If you're getting a barrel cooker, make sure the steel is at least 1/4" thick and the doors close tight.  I don't like the cheaper barrel smokers. You're better off going vertical in the sub $1000 price range IMO.

3) Mobility -  Is this for the back yard?  Catering/competition events?  Some things are easier to move, some even are mounted on their own wheels

4) Price

5) How easy it is to reload fuel

6) Capacity

7) Availability-  A lot of the great smoker fabricators expect local pickup.  BBQ guys half way across the country to pick up their new rigs.

16. nate

nate

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I have always wanted to build my own brick offset smoker but never seem to find the time.

17. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    No budget right? Pizza oven/ smoker combo!

18. nate

nate

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Now that's cool

19. hamiltonbarnes

hamiltonbarnes

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    If $300 is your limit the weber smokey mtn is your best bet. It is the best store bought smoker under $1000. Vertical smokers are easier to use than horizontal offsets. You can do a 30 hour smoke without refueling. You are just playing with vent settings to get temps right.

20. kuan

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I actually know what I need in a smoker now.  Seems like some kind of insulation is good and a nice good seal too.  Plus a good design so it heats evenly and very adjustable venting too.

I just have to figure out what I can sell to make this happen.  ;)