Suggestions Appreciated

Discussion in 'Professional Catering' started by jenni belle, Nov 8, 2005.

1. jenni belle

jenni belle

I'd like some ideas for some menus if anyone would care to help out. But first, a little background info. I'm catering, but I still work a full time 40+hour a week job. Catering is just on the side. I got an offer for a job during the week, which there is no way I could actually be there for the job. However, the customer would consider a cold meal that I could leave in the refrigerator for them.

So, I'd like some ideas for this cold luncheon. It's a ladies luncheon at a church, and I don't really want to charge more that $10 a person. $12 absolute max. Something simple, but classy and elegant. Something that makes an impression even though it's just a simple cold lunch. Something that keeps very well in the refrigerator.

I'd really appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance.

2. chefphilhahn

chefphilhahn

Salad entrees are always a hit with Church ladies. Try this, they will love it.

· 1/2 cup cider vinegar
    · 1/4 cup cranberries
    · 1/4 cup olive oil
    · 2 teaspoons white sugar
    · 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
    · 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
    ·
    · 2 heads romaine lettuce - rinsed, dried, and torn into bite-size pieces
    · 2 medium heads Belgian endive - washed, dried and chopped
    · 2 red Anjou pears
    · 1/2 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
    · 1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
    DIRECTIONS:

1. In a saucepan, combine vinegar and cranberries. Cook over medium heat until cranberries soften. Remove from heat; add olive oil, sugar, salt and pepper. Place in blender and mix until smooth. Refrigerate until chilled.
    2. Core and julienne one pear, core and dice the other.
    3. In a large bowl, combine the Romaine lettuce, endive, diced pears, walnuts and Gorgonzola. Toss and drizzle with enough dressing to coat.
    4. Divide among salad plates and garnish with julienned pear. Top with any additional walnuts as well.

3. castironchef

castironchef

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Sounds like a job for garde manger.

Just about any flavorful charcuterie with some colorful veggies in a good aspic will wow the ladies and be quite elegant.