Chef Forum banner

sugar

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  dagger 
#1 ·
Bought a Keurig and started using international delight & coffe mate creamers and something strange. The single serve tubs list 5 grams sugar, 1 gram is supposed to be 1 tsp but the containers aren't big enough to hold tsp of sugar so how can 5 grams be in something so small.

#5 · (Edited)
So what does the 5 grams mean, again seams lot for such small cups. Sound this and sodium are different, have a site that converts that into amounts. I made 1.5 pt. Ice cream using 15 of single serve international delight pumpkin creamers and .5 cup milk to make 1.5 cup base. If each cup is 5g that is a lot of sugar in my ice cream, seams to me something doesn't sound right.

#9 ·
I know it seems like a lot but I think that's about right. 15 creamers at 5 g a creamer = 75 g sugar into 1.5 pts, assuming a serving size is .5 c of ice cream that comes out to 25 g of sugar per portion of ice cream I believe. Check a container of ice cream next time you are at the store and see how much sugar is in it, I think you'd be surprised.

On another note this also illustrates how much extra sugar we are consuming daily if say the average coffee drink drank once cup of coffee with two creamers and no added sugar it would be around 10 g of sugar or 40% of the recommended daily intake of sugar for an adult.

#6 ·
Read your packaging to verify, but each single serve “creamer” is about 13 ml, which is just a bit shy of a tablespoon, which is about 3 teaspoons.

So 1 tsp is sugar and 2 are the other ingredients...

15 tsp of sugar is just shy of a cup. Was the ice cream too sweet, or not sweet enough?

#8 ·
Haven't tried it yet but when i make it use 1/3 cup sugar each 1.5 pt. So never really thought about it. I guess everyone mostly puts 1 tsp sugar in cup of coffee so sounds right. I had these bought for my coco just went crazy and bought few boxes so trying to use them. Thanks the last posts were really helpful to get me on track.

#10 ·
Didn't take into account not going to eat whole thing. The creamers are everything, no added sugar but did put in 2 french vanilla creamer instead of vanilla. When you add toppings, whip cream, sprinkles, chocolate sauce and banana you must think I'm crazy. Do cut sugar by using sugar free smuckers hot fudge which isn't bad. When i make ice cream using half&half it contains 1/3 cup per 1.5 pt sugar so i might be blind as to which uses more but i use whey low ice cream sugar makes me think mine better.

#11 ·
Your going a long way out of your way to accomplish whatever you are trying to accomplish, IMO. Aren’t you just as worried about the fats and artificial ingredients in that creamer, or is sugar your sole concern? Sugar control with ice cream is easy: best possible ice cream in small quantities. :)

#12 ·
Yeah like i said you must think I'm crazy but asking questions is how we learn. This is first time making ice cream this way and have lot of creamers need to use. Not going to drink hot coco in the summer and they do make some interesting flavors that could be used in the pinch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.