sugar equipment

Discussion in 'Professional Pastry Chefs' started by jennadabombed, Apr 9, 2006.

1. jennadabombed

jennadabombed

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hi,

I would be very appreciative with any advice starting out with sugar work. Mainly the equipment. If you have any thoughts or ideas on heating lamps, pumps and other equipment? I really don't feel the need to spend almost $400 on a heating lamp. I'm guessing there is a cheaper alternative that works just as well. What kind of pump should I get? I recently ran into somone who took a class for a summer in sugar art and is very willing to show me some techniques. I'm going to jump on that sooner than later...

Thanks again for any input, Jenna

2. cakerookie

cakerookie

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I would make my own warming box. There are no set design plans on these. Just whatever you feel is a good size for you to work in. Heat lamps are relatively inexpensive between $5.00 and $10.00 depending on weather you get red or clear. Most prefer red easier on the eyes.Put a dimmer switch in the cord it will allow you to adjust the intensity of the lamp when necessary. Pumps can be gotten from $12.00 to $55.00 depending on which you choose. Go to www.pastrywiz.com there is a link there for sugar work equipment. Cheapest method is to get an old blood pressure cuff and cut the pump off. You will still need a tip either metal or wood. Other equipment you will need:

1). A stainless or copper pot 2 quart size preferable!
    2). A marble slab or silpat
    3). A metal spoon or dough cutter
    4). A propane torch
    5). Rubber Gloves
    6). Scissors
    7). A hair dryer with a cool air setting.

Go to www.pastrychef.info there is an article there by Martin Chiffers on sugar work that will help you. Hope this helps. There are a lot more people here that have experience in sugar work so I am sure you will get plenty of advice.But I am glad to see that you are interested in it.