Sugar content in Whole Wheat Flour

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by rita choudhary, Mar 14, 2017.

1. rita choudhary

rita choudhary

Hello members, just had a quick question, I have searched the internet, the normal (natural) sugar content in Whole Wheat Flour is 4gm per 1kg ( no additives) The brand that I buy says it has 4.5gm of sugar per 100gm so can thus be possible? I asked them if they add sugar in the flour and they confirmed NO, its simple milled Whole Wheat Grains, please guide
  2. norcalbaker59

norcalbaker59 Banned

To identify the discrepancy you would need to know the method of analysis.

You would need to know the types of carbohydrate testing performed and what they included in their calculations.

Carbohydrates fall under two classifications.
    1. Complex carbohydrates (polysaccharides) are classified as starches.
    2. Simple carbohydrates (monosaccharides and disaccharides) are classified as sugars.

Classifying complex carbohydrates as a starch causes confusion since complex carbohydrates are actually monosaccharides--sugar.

Wheat, like most plants, produce energy through photosynthesis. That energy is monosaccharides. Monosaccharide is the sugar known as glucose. The plant uses some glucose for food, then converts the excess into long molecule chains--polysaccharides--and stores it.

To determine levels of monosaccharides (sugar or simple carbohydrates), food scientist use what's called the a Benedict test. A copper sulfate solution is applied to the food substance; if sugar is present, the solution will change color. The color and intensity of the solution indicates the level of sugar present.

To determine levels of polysaccharides (starch or complex carbohydrates), they use a similar test, but use an iodine solution instead.

So unless you know which test(s) they use; whether they distinguish between sugar and starches; and what they counted as a sugar, it's not possible to identify the reason for the discrepancy