Sugar Art & chocolate sculptures

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by bethap, Oct 30, 2005.

1. bethap

bethap

Hi. I've seen the sugar art and chocolate sculpture competitions on Food Network and was wondering if there is a market for the creations outside of competitions. I have no knowledge or experience with the craft but was just curious.

2. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Hotel pastry chefs are often asked to make showpieces for buffets and special events, so it's a chance to strut their stuff on a regular basis. I suppose there are other occasions where showpieces would be ordered, but hotels are a great opportunity for those who really enjoy the art.

3. cakerookie

cakerookie

Exp:
    Line Cook
    If you are like me your sugar recipe won't do right you will never get a shot even at a hotel. But momoreg is right. Hotels are a great place for sugar showpieces.

4. chefmikesworld

chefmikesworld

I most definitely believe there is...

Sugar is time consuming and if someone showed up in my kitchen with some showpieces and could prove to me that they have a way of refrigerating them overnight or were able to deliver prior to an event and prove that they could last 4-6 hours I would consider purchasing some...

Chef Mike

5. cakerookie

cakerookie

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Boy, that would be great would'nt it.

6. bethap

bethap

Thanks for answering my question. :bounce:

7. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    You can make your pieces last by using either isomalt sugar, which doesn't get affected by humidity(but is expensive) or by spraying the piece with nougat lacquer and keeping it dry when not in use.

I keep my pieces in an un-used Cambro trnsport container (airtight) with a pan of silica-gel at the bottom. Usually get 3 or 4 showings out of a piece before somone tries to eat it or gets damaged intransport.