Subtle Smoking Smoking Gun Provides Quick And Easy Flavor Enhancement

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by cheftalk.com, Mar 4, 2010.

1. cheftalk.com

cheftalk.com

Exp:
    Other
    When Chef Mike Gadson is catering a small private function or cooking at home for friends and family, one of his favorite tools for adding a smoked flavor to many dishes is a smoking gun.

Recently Gadson, who is the executive chef at Springmaid Beach Resort & Conference Center in Myrtle Beach, S.C., used his PolyScience Smoking Gun to smoke an airline cut of chicken breast. However, meats are not the only smokable items in the pantry. Vegetables and even some fruits are ripe for the flavor infusion: Executive Chef Steven Musolf of High Hammock Maverick Seaside Kitchen in Pawleys Island, S.C., uses a gun to smoke honey.

Read the full article here...

*These articles are brought to you each month from ChefTalk.com.

2. deltadude

deltadude

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    If you want to add smoke to foods, you can make a cold smoke tool, using a electric soldering iron and tin can.
    Here is a video on the DIY

3. fr33_mason

fr33_mason

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I love to cold smoke cheese.  I also smoke mazzano peppers for my chipotle.  Sometimes I'll throw in a batch of almonds or pistachios or even cashews.  

The power pipes can also be had through your local "hemp" shop or more affecionately known as a head shop/img/vbsmilies/smilies/crazy.gif. 

If you are into DIY.  Then I could suggest to go to a local RC shop and buy a smoke pump for RC aircraft and you could make a more custom application for a fraction of the price of a commercial smoke pipe.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010