Substiution for white wine

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by pastachef, Dec 12, 2001.

1. pastachef

pastachef

I did chicken piccata last week, and the recipe called for white wine. Of course no alcohol is allowed on the premises where I work. Is there a substitution or an adjustment to the recipe that I should have made? It tasted 'okay', but okay is not good enough for me:(

2. flash

flash

Well, I suppose you could use some White Grape Jucie (1/2 & 1/2, water:juice) then hit it with a little white wine vinegar?

flash

3. peachcreek

peachcreek

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    How about non-alcholic or de-alcoholized wine?

4. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Verjuice is one way to go,It is made from unripened grapes and is not fermented.It is sour like vinager,So I would reduce the amount of lemon you use.

Also don't be to alarmed when wine is called for in a recipe,yes it does add a certain flavor profile to the dish but it is not the end of the world if you do not use it.
    cc

5. anneke

anneke

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    I was just thinking verjus... I don't find it very sour at all however; maybe it's just the brand that we use, some organic brand from California. It will add a very delicate flavour but with some adjustments to the recipe can easily be adjusted to simulate wine.

6. isa

isa

I would use stock Pasta, vegetable, beef or chicken depending on the recipe.

7. svadhisthana

svadhisthana

8. pastachef

pastachef

Thank you everyone for the great suggestions. Isa, I actually DID use the chicken stock, but it still wasn't quite what I wanted. It was good, but still lacking something. I am going to try to get the Verjuice.:)

9. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    White wine substitutes

White grape juice; apple cider; apple juice; clam juice; nonalcoholic wine, add a tablespoon of vinegar to cut the sweetnessvegetable stock; or water.

10. pastachef

pastachef

Wow, Cchiu, what a selection. Thank you very much! :chef:

11. 9hundred

9hundred

Perhaps you should sneak some in. You know, wine makes all the difference, and there is really no substitute for it. Anyway after cooking the alcohol will disapear.