Substitutions for buttermilk

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by shimmer, Mar 16, 2002.

1. shimmer

shimmer

Can I just add lemon juice to milk?

~~Shimmer~~

2. shawtycat

shawtycat

Here are substitutions I found in Substituting Ingredients: An A to Z Kitchen Reference by Becky Sue Epstein & Hillary Dole Klein

1 cup milk plus 1 3/4 tablespoons cream of tartar or

Sour Cream or

Plain, low fat yogurt

Hope you find these useful. Glad I finally got to use this book.:D

3. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
  4. alexia

alexia

Shimmer, from my notes: A buttermilk Substitute: To each cup of milk add 1 Tbs lemon juiceor white distilled vinegar. Let stand a minute before using.

Unfortunately, I didn't note where I found this info and have never tried it. As a cup of milk will not break the bank, you can easily experiment. I've also seen vinegar suggested.

There's also Saco dried buttermilk (intended for use in cooking, not drinking). They have a website out there. Tony Cenicola had an article on it in the NYT. He says, Saco Cultured Buttermilk Blend can be found in supermarkets or directly from Saco Foods, (800) 373-7226. Apparently using the driec may require some adjustment of leavening agents. Check the Saco site.

5. angrychef

angrychef

Shimmer, I have tried the milk and lemon juice. The trick is to let it stand for 5-10 min. so that it thickens a bit.
    My favorite substitution is non-fat or low-fat yogurt. Particularly in muffins, they come out so tender.

6. isa

isa

To replace 1 cup buttermilk:

1 tablespoon vinegar plus enough milk to make one cup (let stand 5 minutes)

2 tablespoons lemon juice plus enough milk to make one cup (let stand 5 minutes)

1 cup milk plus 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar

1 cup plain yogourt

1 cup sour cream

1 cup mild flavoured soy milk plus 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice (in baked good only)

From In The Sweet Kitchen