Substitution

Joined Nov 27, 2001
Trying a new recipe that calls for cream infused with 1 Tablespoon crushed cardamom pods- can not find it around here and don't have time to order it. All I can get is ground cardamom. How much should I use?

Joined Aug 29, 2000
The ground stuff is pretty pungent... I'd cut it back. I sprinkle about 1/4 teaspoon on my two scoops of coffee grounds before brewing, and it's pretty strong (I like it that way).

I'd recommend a teaspoon at the most, but then I'm no pro! :blush:

Joined Jul 18, 2002
mmnnnnn.... cardamon infused coffee cheesecake - you just inspired me. Topped with roasted bananas and marscapone cream. no base. Slightly underCooked in a bain marie

Joined Jun 28, 2001
Did you try an Indian grocery store? I know there are some in Cleveland. They sell them for dirt cheap as well as many other spices. Every time I go spice shopping, I go a little nuts and I end up buying things like "amchur powder" (powdered mango something or other) and never using it. ;)

Joined Mar 6, 2001
I was going to reccomend the Indian grocery store too. It's amazing how in-expensive spices are there. Mexican stores are wonderful sources for spices too.

As far as the amount of sub. go lightly, very lightly. I don't know how much cream and "into what" your putting it???? But I'd start at 1/8 of a tsp. or a lighter dust of it and TASTE it. Then add according to what your making and how much you want to taste it.

Joined Nov 27, 2001
Thank you all. I made orange-cardamom truffles and I substituted 1/2t. They are very tasty!! I wish there was a way to cyber share. I never thought about the Indian store. I will keep that in the recesses of my brain for next time. We are very fortunate to have a food co-op that carries just about every spice, herb, tea, and root imaginable in bulk at great prices- never occurred to me that they wouldn't have it.

Joined Jul 28, 2001
Bakery supply houses sometime carry it. My danish recipe and other breakfast yeast recipes call for it.

Top Bottom