SUBSTITUTING CREAMED SWEETCORN

Joined Feb 28, 2013
Hi All. I have just returned to France from visiting my mom in South Africa. I came back with a very traditional recipe for mielie bread (corn bread). The recipe calls for a tin of creamed sweetcorn - I am guessing to give a bit of moisture? I can only get tins of sweetcorn kernels. I don't know how much liquid I should add in the form of cream/milk to make up for what would have come out of the tin. Any suggestions? (The recipe is really good if anyone is interested :) Thanks!

Joined Sep 17, 2018
How big is the tin referenced in the recipe? Without more information I would maybe try to find a recipe for creamed corn and change it by a factor that will yield an approximate amount equal to your requirement in the recipe. You could also try a run of the recipe with the corn you have available and see if you notice a big enough difference to make creamed corn.

Joined May 5, 2010
You can "cream" the sweet kernels in a blender or food processor, This releases the creamy part of the kernel and makes its' almost the same...You could also add a small amount of evaporated milk.

Joined Feb 28, 2013
How big is the tin referenced in the recipe? Without more information I would maybe try to find a recipe for creamed corn and change it by a factor that will yield an approximate amount equal to your requirement in the recipe. You could also try a run of the recipe with the corn you have available and see if you notice a big enough difference to make creamed corn.
Thanks- I surprised myself and thought it through. I whizzed kernels & created creamed sweetcorn. Worked like a bomb! Just for info, it’s a standard 420g of sweetcorn

Attachments

Latest posts

Top Bottom