Substituting agar for gelatin

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by ekraterf, May 29, 2005.

1. ekraterf

ekraterf

I am trying to develop different desert specials for a newly opened café that is mainly organic. I have a wonderful recipe for a buttermilk panna cotta that utilizes gelatin and I wanted to sub agar instead to make it vegetarian. Does anyone know the conversions between the two or if I have to do anything special to the agar to make it bloom?

Thanks
    Elizabeth

2. coffeekitten

coffeekitten

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    I can find out by tuesday, if you want i'll pm you, but my teacher is vegetrian and she uses agar all the time. If not, it should be on the packaging.

Coffeekitten

3. keeperofthegood

keeperofthegood

Hey oh

Some things in life are not made to be fiddled with :) Not an easy recipe to find online done vegan style. But here is one:

http://www.recipezaar.com/87553

It may not be exactly what you want, but you should be able to compare your current recipe against this vegan one. Note too that that level of vegitarianism also disscludes the use of any dairy product and that usually coconut milk or soya milks are the substituts used.

4. coffeekitten

coffeekitten

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    ok heres what i found out. you can substitute powdered agar agar 1 to 1 for gelatin and it still needs to be bloomed and melted the same way as gelatine. Heres where you can get it and more info:

Agar Agar

good luck and chocolate kisses :lips:
    Coffeekitten