SUBSTITUTE FOR CRISCO?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by kimmit, Mar 14, 2013.

1. kimmit

kimmit

Exp:
    Other
    A lot of the food sites I follow and read are based in America, and I see Crisco used in recipes.  I have tried looking on the internet for advice for a substitute for Crisco, but thought I would ask here as well. 

What do you think is the best substitute for Crisco? 

Thanks.

2. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Lard or butter.  Both will taste different but will work.

kimmit likes this.
  3. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Hello Kimmit,

Is this for frying or baking or just in general ?

Petals.

4. kimmit

kimmit

Exp:
    Other
    The particular recipe I'm wanting to try is for a pear apple caramel praline pie, Petals.  But I am also just generally interested in finding out how to substitute it for other recipes I see. 

5. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    Keep in mind, Kimmit, that crisco is itself a substitute.  It was originally a substitute for lard, but also butter.  It is used in "buttercreams" especially when they use a simple method like beating fat (crisco) with powdered sugar so they come out very white.  But the flavor is zero, it's like pure grease, no taste, so really, do you want buttercream not to taste of butter?

If you're making a cake, i would use butter. 

If you're making pie crust, you can use lard or butter - i always use mostly butter, but partly lard - lard makes the crust flaky but this is if you're making a brisee type crust, where you rub cold fat into flour and add water at the end.  You don't say where you live so i don't know what culinary tradition you're coming from. 

If you're making american biscuits, apparently lard is wonderful, but i rarely make biscuits, and always have used butter.  (But these are not british biscuits, which are what we call cookies, and with cookies, use butter)

In frying you can substitute oil. 

kimmit likes this.
  6. susiewill

susiewill

Exp:
    At home cook
    Crisco is a brand name for an all-vegetable shortening.  If your store does not carry that brand, I would look for any other all-vegetable shortening available.  For pie crust, I would use lard. For cake frosting, I would use high-ratio shortening, if you can find it, and butter together for a more stable and creamier result. So, it depends on what you are making.

kimmit likes this.
  7. kimmit

kimmit

Exp:
    Other
    Thanks Siduri, that helps a lot.  I live in rural France, and have only ever seen, butter/margerine/goose fat! in the supermarkets. 

8. mrmnms

mrmnms

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Just remember butter contains water, crisco does not. Use care in handling dough or consider a combination of lard and butter for improved flavor and texture.

9. michaelga

michaelga

Exp:
    Retired Chef
  10. rosalynne

rosalynne

Exp:
    At home cook
    Use Plugra butter.  Has low water content.  I would never use Crisco soybean oil glop in anything I would eat.

11. hajg

hajg

Exp:
    At home cook
    QUESTION:

When substituting butter for Crisco are the proportions 1 for 1?

And when a recipe calls for butter flavored Crisco, can you put in half

butter and half Crisco, or Crisco with butter flavoring added in?

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/bounce.gif

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/rollsmile.gifThank you!  

12. eolian

eolian

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Crisco is made from Cottonseed oil at one time it was made from whats the good one palm oil i think not palm kernel ?

So from what i understand with the new FDA transfat ruling they will have to go back to the good palm oil or something else.

13. mrmnms

mrmnms

Exp:
    Former Chef
    From my experience, you can pretty much substitute 1 for 1 in baking. Mixing half butter for flavor and half Cisco for texture makes a nice crust.

14. sundriedfry

sundriedfry

Exp:
    Home Cook
    People swear by lard. How thick is real lard? I'm afraid to buy it, haha.

15. chezpopp

chezpopp

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Render it yourself. Maybe a little thicker then Crisco. Tends to be solid at room temp. Buy a block of leaf lard cut it into pieces lightly freeze and grind it. Then pop it in the oven at 215 degrees. The fat will render out. Strain it and store it. I use lard for a lot of things. Chicken fat is nice too. Duck fat is great as well. All depends on the application. Biscuits for biscuits and gravy I use lard. Biscuits for strawberry shortcake I use butter. Or ghee.

kimmit likes this.
  16. sundriedfry

sundriedfry

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Thanks Chezpopp

17. colynn

colynn

Exp:
    Professional Baker

18. colynn

colynn

Exp:
    Professional Baker

19. mkmidboe

mkmidboe

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I don't have access to lard or anything but butter here in Norway, and need to make pie crust :( any suggestions?? less water since butter contains water?? 
    Thanks so much!!

20. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef