substition

Joined Apr 5, 2004
I am trying to find a low-fat alternative to using whipping cream in my alfredo sauce. Any ideas? This needs to be something that tastes close enough that my family will not notice the difference. Thanks

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Evaporated milk is a common choice for this. For really low fat, use evaporated skim milk.

It's not a perfect sub, but it works well.

Phil

Joined Dec 4, 2001
In working with a low fat Carbonara, I used low fat cottage cheese (small curd) warmed over a low heat till it came together. A couple of TBS of parmesan cheese for flavor and it turned out pretty good.

Jock

Joined May 26, 2001
Some foods can not -- should not -- be made "low fat" and Alfredo sauce is one of them. If you want lower fat, use less sauce. If you can't do that, give up something else so that you can have the real thing in a normal portion. But don't futz around with something that works to make it nutritionally acceptable but culinarily an abomination.

And WHY on earth would you want to do such a thing, anyway???

:mad:

Joined Dec 23, 2003
White sauce makes a phenomenal alfredo. Use 2% milk and just enough butter in your roux so it will bubble. It won't have the decandent richness of whipping cream but it will make a delicious sauce.

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
Attagirl! A woman after my own heart. ;) (pun intended)

Kuan

Joined Oct 13, 2001
Suzanne, I quite agree. Alfredo sauce is high fat! That is why we eat it .
There are times to splurge and Alfredo is one of them.A culinary abomination is great wording Suzanne!!! Peace , Doug..............

Top Bottom