substantial finger food

Discussion in 'Professional Catering' started by shroomgirl, Dec 29, 2002.

1. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Gotta love it....250 women, dinner time, $20 food budget pp...
    no silver, mid Feb......I sent out my menu but it was a toughy...women coming from work they'll be hungry, this is prior to a meeting, they'll be in work clothes, it is buffet no silver.
    oh man....please just a fork!!!!

So, What would you do in this scenerio?

2. marmalady

marmalady

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Chicken salad stuffed cherry tomatoes

Skewered everything

mini-pita bread sandwiches

'Fill me up' spreads like hummus or red lentil pate

3. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I had turkey, cranberry chutney and root slaw on ciabatta
    ham and guyere on french
    roasted veg on a skewer
    spanakopita
    duxelle in fillo cups
    apple slices with pate
    brownies
    cookies
    apricot almond tarts
    fresh fruit

......again this was a stretch....loaded on veg tried to make it not excessively rich <yet not veg tray from the grocery bleck> these are professional women and it is in Feb when diets are still rampant...and I'm doing 300 big event 2 days earlier.....!!! When it rains you hold a bucket and collect it.

4. marmalady

marmalady

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    What about wrap 'pinwheels' - I just did this for a cheapie Christmas party; make your wraps out of whatever, and instead of halving them, cut in about 3/4 inch 'pinwheels' and skewer. I got about 7 pieces out of 1 wrap.

Love the turkey - made my mouth water!

5. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Thanks, yeah the turkey is a keeper, the only draw back is the cranberry chutney stain.....I really try not to have red sauces for stainage at these things. Apricot chutney may work just as well....

6. isa

isa

Gougeres with a variety of filling
    Gaspacho in a cucumber "cup"
    Mini pissaladiere and onion tart
    Stuffed potato skin
    Vegetable Sushi
    Guacamole served in a tortilla cup
    Yakitori, the Japanese version of brochettes
    Dumplings

You could serve a variety of little salad in different cups.

How about serving bouchees on an Asian or regular spoon?
    Some shellfish could be served in the shell? Mussels on the shell with shallot and vinaigrette.

7. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    $20 pp dinner.

Love the ideas....looks like alot of Martha shtuff. *note to slef remember the gazpacho during August....wonder if they are outrageously messy?
    Last batch of gougere were not that good...gotta play with em
    The shellfish are OK in Mo but I don't do alot with um...living in LA for soooo long I got really picky. think pro biz women eating off a shell without silver in work clothes....

Thought of a veggie sandwich but let it slide....deposit is not in, bid is out and they are deciding on the menu hopefully tomorrow. Cross your toes for me. $5000 is good fairly easy money for this gig....more more more....I've really tried to emphasize consulting and catering...more bang for the energy.

8. marmalady

marmalady

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    SOoOOOOOO - Did you get the gig?!!

I just did my last job here in NJ; getting ready to list our house for sale, go to Charleston to look at new houses, start packing, ya da ya da. Don't see how I could manage that and do a job the right way at the same time. So, i'll just have to 'cater' vicariously through you all for a while!

Have you seen the spread in the new Gourmet about Charleston? I can't wait to get back there - so much has changed since I lived there before, and the food scene looks like it's just exploding!!! I have NO idea what I'll be doing when we move - just have to wait and check out the opportunites.

9. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    It's in committee.....still.....I so love committees....someone called and wanted me to be on a committee for Mardi Gras cook off....NO FRIGGIN WAY!

10. nancya

nancya

How about using wonton wrappers to make mini eggrolls or spring rolls? You can use practically anything in them, sweet or savory and they make a nice bite.

Good luck on the gig, btw!

11. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Thanks Nancy....since there is not a kitchen I avoid doing alot of hot foods....the directions were "no silverware"....I'm thinking wonton wrappers filled then fried....when they are women in biz clothes I really avoid oily shtuff.
    I need to play more with wrappers though. The feed back I've gotten from clients is they don't want food fried in their homes....lingering smells, etc.... So if they can be fried then reheated in an oven that would be best option.
    I've been using fillo shells alot, easy....fairly cheap and lower in fat.
    I meet in person with the group on Tues. hopefully this will be settled by then.

12. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Got it at a reduced cost and menu....$15
    turkey sandwich as before
    skewered veg
    Spanokopita triangles
    Morel duxelle in fillo cups
    chevre tarts with tapenade
    brownies
    cookies
    Grapes
    So.....money is still good....buffet is kinda weak, but $5 was a limiting factor.